Navy Dads

My son graduates A School in San Antonio in March.  My question is, do they have a ceremony or anything for graduating from A school and can parents attend if they do?

Thank you

A new navy dad

Dennis

Views: 3186

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Mike....  Really appreciate it... I just spoke with him and told him that we will be coming down for his graduation.  He is really excited about it.  It would be so awesome to pin his shield on him... 

Dennis, I went to my sons A school graduation in 2010 and got to pin his first MAA badge on him! You Have to go to Lackland USAF training base, San Antonio,Texas. It will be just his class mates in this ceremony,almost like a High School graduation. Their name is called and they go up on stage to get their graduation cert. with hand shake then hand a MAA badge they walk off the other side of the stage to meeting a Family member that gets to pin their badge on. It will depend on their orders then and what they do after that. My son drive with me back to Michigan to do recruit duty for two week before reporting to his new duty station in the Island of Oahu,Hawaii. A week or two at the end of MAA "A" school they will show them a list of open duty station and it will depend on how well they do in school on the order that the class members will pick first. So study hard and try to be at the top of the class will get you the best chose of duty. My son finished second in his class I proud to say : )

Hey Mike, sorry i have been on much lately. Where is your son headed after graduating MA school. Amber is having a ball in Spain.

First of all...THANKS to everyone on all the Great info here! It has been very helpful.

Second, my little girl graduates in 2 weeks! (HOOYAH!!!) And much to my wife's chagrin, she has asked me to pin her MA Shield on her. What uniform should I expect that she will be in for the ceremony? I'm assuming it will be Dress but you know what happens when you assume.

I would like to match my attire to hers for the occasion. And I know that the graduation 'ceremony' isn't a formal affair like PIR, and that business casual would be enough. (I have my own HM A-School graduation as reference) Nonetheless, I would like to be at the appropriate level of dress to match. Please help, so I know what to pack!

It will be Dress uniforms...I think blues at the beginning of October...

Thanks Tom! That's what I expected, but the confirmation helps.

My son, has been in the Navy for about 18 months now. The Navy has offered him a rate change to MAA. His new orders take him to Lackland for A school, on Monday Oct 7th and then his gradulation is set for Monday November 25th. I know that week is Thanksgiving week, is that why gradulation is on a Monday instead of the normal Friday. Anybody else ever here of this?  

WELCOME to the MA family! 

MA graduations happen on Friday. Even with Thanksgiving I would expect that to still be the case.

However, I would assume that your son's orders are simply an estimate. MA school is 7 weeks long once the class has been formed; which has been taking 1 week lately. Those dates cover only the 7 weeks of the school itself, so I would expect his actual graduation to later than the week of Nov. 25.

Your son will know his actual graduation date after he has 'Classed Up'. I would wait for that to happen before making any plans.

As to Thanksgiving week, or any other holiday, typically the training schedule can absorb a couple of holidays. So single day holidays don't normally effect training or graduation schedules. (July 4 on a Friday being the exception. And in that case Thursday would usually be used.)

The Christmas to New Year block is the only 'holiday' that will affect most schedules. Most A & C schools, but not boot camp, shut down for those 2 weeks. And therefore anyone going to a school during this time will typically have 2 weeks added to the normal length of their school.

My son classed up at "A" school in San Antonio on Tuesday Oct. 15th. He says he was chosen to become class leader of his class of 58. Does anyone know what that leadership position consists of and what impact that has for him during his stay in San Antonio?  

Hey Paul,

Being the Class Leader is mostly an organizational designation. Although there are a few added duties & activities that go with it. The overall workload add should be relatively minimal.

Organizationally he will be the first stop in the Chain of Command for his classmates. This also makes him the first point of contact from the instructors down to the class. In that respect, the instructors will rely on him to pass on orders, the plan of the day and any other special instructions to the rest of the class in their absence.

As to added duties; he will be responsible for organizing the daily musters and filing the muster reports. Ensuring that the class is prepared, including necessary equipment, for any of the 'special' training activities that they have. He will also be generally responsible for maintaining 'good order and discipline' in the class.

From my perspective, the biggest demand of the class leader position is that you pretty much need to be the first there and the last to leave. But beyond that, it is mostly a responsibility thing rather than a serious workload increase.

Scott,

Thank you for the information. it's greatly appreciated.

Paul S.

Scott Karneth said:

Hey Paul,

Being the Class Leader is mostly an organizational designation. Although there are a few added duties & activities that go with it. The overall workload add should be relatively minimal.

Organizationally he will be the first stop in the Chain of Command for his classmates. This also makes him the first point of contact from the instructors down to the class. In that respect, the instructors will rely on him to pass on orders, the plan of the day and any other special instructions to the rest of the class in their absence.

As to added duties; he will be responsible for organizing the daily musters and filing the muster reports. Ensuring that the class is prepared, including necessary equipment, for any of the 'special' training activities that they have. He will also be generally responsible for maintaining 'good order and discipline' in the class.

From my perspective, the biggest demand of the class leader position is that you pretty much need to be the first there and the last to leave. But beyond that, it is mostly a responsibility thing rather than a serious workload increase.

My son just texted me, he says OC will be this coming Monday and his MA graduation will happen on Friday December 6th. Which I will be attending. I been doing some research on MA, which is a very interesting and a challenging rate. I come across designations like MA2 & MA3. Not sure what they mean, are these relative to rank? Also, he has been on active duty as an E-3 for the last 18 months, when the Navy offered him a rate change to MA, is it possible that you can become an E-4 after A school? Thanks. 

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments