Navy Dads

My son Alex is scheduled to report to OCS June 20.  Is there a way to find out his class number ahead of time?  We have everything else we need to compose his mail address.

Views: 4122

Replies to This Discussion

Pretty much the same from the call we got yesterday from John. He passed RLP and mentioned next big hurdle MTT. His voice was very hoarse, he sounded tired , but determined. Looking forward into making travel plans, and to moe frequent contact via email and phone calls!
Good luck to all and continued prayers for our LO's
Re. Trip Planning: We stayed in Middletown (at the Travelodge) which was $54/night (with AAA discount). Overall the rates were much lower in Middletown than in Newport, but still very good access to the station. On base both the Navy Lodge and Navy Gateway are great choices, if not fully booked.

The naval station gates are not well identified so you really should do up a map. You'll enter at the main gate (Hwy 138 and Connell), near the bridge to Jamestown RI (this is close to the Officers Club and the Naval War College). A-frame signs at intersections will direct you through the base. The directions on the OCS website (http://www1.netc.navy.mil/nstc/otc/getting_to_otc.asp) will help.

Plan on a nice dress, jacket and tie, for the graduation ceremony. If the weather is good during the summer this will be outdoors (unless they still have construction crews working on the field).

Members of your class will plan the Hi Moms reception. Press your LO to ask shipmates for details, especially times.

We also had a chance to go to service Sunday morning at the chapel; recommended.
Thanks Guy,

Both Bill's son and Tom's are in my son's squad (Jonah Russell). He sounded relieved but anxious about the MTT's coming up. I'm looking forward to meeting all of the OC dad's in September. It sounds like graduation is set for 9-1-10...

God Bless, John Russell

Guy Winters said:
Re. Trip Planning: We stayed in Middletown (at the Travelodge) which was $54/night (with AAA discount). Overall the rates were much lower in Middletown than in Newport, but still very good access to the station. On base both the Navy Lodge and Navy Gateway are great choices, if not fully booked.

The naval station gates are not well identified so you really should do up a map. You'll enter at the main gate (Hwy 138 and Connell), near the bridge to Jamestown RI (this is close to the Officers Club and the Naval War College). A-frame signs at intersections will direct you through the base. The directions on the OCS website (http://www1.netc.navy.mil/nstc/otc/getting_to_otc.asp) will help.

Plan on a nice dress, jacket and tie, for the graduation ceremony. If the weather is good during the summer this will be outdoors (unless they still have construction crews working on the field).

Members of your class will plan the Hi Moms reception. Press your LO to ask shipmates for details, especially times.

We also had a chance to go to service Sunday morning at the chapel; recommended.
Getting ready to make plans for PIR. I hope 9-10-10 is the date if John keeps on schedule. We hope for better phone connection on his next call. Last one was terrible. Regardless it could have been two cans and a string and it would have brought a smile to his mother amd me!
Best of luck to all

John Russell said:
Thanks Guy,

Both Bill's son and Tom's are in my son's squad (Jonah Russell). He sounded relieved but anxious about the MTT's coming up. I'm looking forward to meeting all of the OC dad's in September. It sounds like graduation is set for 9-1-10...

God Bless, John Russell

Guy Winters said:

Thomas,
The Sept. 10 date for graduation (with a evening before get-together on Sept. 9) is correct to my knowledge. I think there is a typo in John's post when he says its set for 9-1-10.
I'm within driving distance so I don't need to worry about flight reservations and have only been looking into hotels so far. Well that and getting silver dollars for some tradition for the graduation ceremony that was alluded to in the following link:
http://www.projo.com/extra/2008/ocs/
The coins are mentioned in the last segment about graduation near the bottom between the last two pictures. If you haven't seen this web-site before, it gives a real good idea of what our LO's are going through.
Best of wished to everyone and our LO's,
Bill
Bill
Those videos make you feel good and then bad and then good again! Thanks for the heads up on the silver dollars. Should I pick up two: one for his Chief and one for his Drill Instructor?
Do you know if they will have any free time the week of graduation? I’m sure we’ll learn a lot more details as the day draws near. Plus, hopefully we will have a little more frequent communications. I wish we knew what day we might get a phone call this weekend. That’s OK we’ll just campout next to the phone and wait. I going to have to write down a few questions that I want to ask, so this time if I get a brain cramp I won’t have to say the minute we hang up “I wish I’d ask him this or that. Thanks for all the good info.
Best wishes, to you and all our LO’s
p.s. Any idea if they will be allowed email anytime soon?
Thomas,

They should have email access now. I got Williams email address last weekend and have been emailing him since then. I was beginning to wonder whether he was getting them until I got a short email last night. The problem is they have so little time to read it or respond. They should get a bit of free time this weekend to catch up.

Besides an insane amount of studying for the classes I think they are spending a lot of time for the drill competition that occurs in about a week and a half.

From the article I gather it is just the DI and Chief that get the silver dollars. I asked William to confirm this, but he didn't answer and he may not know anything about it yet. I got 4 from a local coin dealer just in case. In the process I've been learning about silver dollars and bullion. For example, although American Eagles are technically bullion and not coins according to the dealer I spoke with, they have sold these to other customers for this purpose and are aware of the custom. True silver dollars would be the Morgans or Peace dollars. Uncirculated Eagles go for about $22 and Peace dollars in good condition can also be had for around $24. Although for some years and mint strikes they can be well over $100. Morgans were minted earlier and are expensive if they are in good condition.

So far as other graduation details are concerned I am waiting to hear from William, but I'm not sure that he has been given much info yet. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Best wishes to you and our LO's,
Bill
Sorry guys,

I did mean 9-10-2010 in my previous e-mail.. John
John,

I figured it was a typo.

My son thinks he can get the silver dollars at the Navy Exchange. Any items required for graduation should be there. He says the place is steeped in tradition, so anything needed to perpetuate those traditions should be available.

Best wishes to you and all of our LO's.
Bill
Tom, Guy & Bill,

You have probably already heard, Jonah told us that the class is "secured" for graduation. They got the other anchor and he called yesterday to find out how many will be at graduation. We are bringing about 18 from OR, AZ and MD. I am looking forward to meeting you all. We are staying at the Hampton Inn right next to the closest gate. I know there are several events scheduled for the families prior to graduation but don't know any specifics. It also sounds like their current DI who apparently was the toughest will not be there for graduation, he got orders for another mission.

That's all for now.

God Bless, John
John
Thanks for the info, because we haven’t heard from our John in quite awhile.
Only a short email last Wednesday. Then no call from him last weekend, so we had no idea that the class had secured. That is great news. We figured they must be staying very busy, and we kept telling ourselves “NNIGN”, but you can only brainwash yourself for so long before you start worrying again! Just my wife and I will be coming up for the big day. Hopefully it will be here before we know it (I think its 37 more days). Continued blessings to all the LO’s, and also to their family and all their friends.
Tom

/body>
Tom,

We're all pretty excited as well. Jonah's wife is going to surprise him a little early when they get liberty in the final week. She is coordinating with his roomate. Will you be attending the dinner the night before?

Thomas Maher said:
John
Thanks for the info, because we haven’t heard from our John in quite awhile.
Only a short email last Wednesday. Then no call from him last weekend, so we had no idea that the class had secured. That is great news. We figured they must be staying very busy, and we kept telling ourselves “NNIGN”, but you can only brainwash yourself for so long before you start worrying again! Just my wife and I will be coming up for the big day. Hopefully it will be here before we know it (I think its 37 more days). Continued blessings to all the LO’s, and also to their family and all their friends.
Tom

/body>

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments