Navy Dads

Hello all, I am new here and I am just looking for some advice on the recruitment process. My daughter is planning on entering the NUKE program. She has been working with a recruiter and went to MEPS today. The recruiter advised her to go ahead and pick a rate and enlist in the DEP while she waits for her security clearance to be processed. He claimed they would change her designation later for NUKE once the "paperwork" was finished. So, she did that today and the only job available for a woman was ABF. She got a 99 on the ASVEB and has a BS degree. No disrespect to the AB rate but I can’t see that being a good fit for her at all. Is this a normal practice or was/is she just getting a runaround in this process? Has anyone else had this experience? How concerned should I be? She goes to Boot in July 2014 and unless a seat opens up for her it looks like she has to learn how to run a needle gun insted of a reactor.

Views: 2624

Replies to This Discussion

My son went to Boot Camp in July 2014 and his PIR was 19 SEPT 2014. He was in DIV 945, they won the Captains Cup, much to the disappointment of DIV 818, and they were one of the Honor Divisions. He and his NUKE shipmates are now in A school in Goose Creek

She is in Week 1 of boot camp now. A school seems a long time away even though it's right around the corner. 

My son is a senior in high school. He took the ASVAB in September and scored a 90 which we thought was pretty good since he is still in high school. He signed a Nuke contract and is currently in DEP until August of 2015. We are trying to figure out a Nuke rate, he is very interested in ET. Does he have any say in what rate he can choose? Will the Navy decide for him based on need? Will he have to wait until boot camp for his rate? He says that he would prefer not to be a Machinist Mate, however, I told him "you may not have a choice".

I don't have experience in the Nuke ratings, but you can read thru the various descriptions here: http://www.navydads.com/forum/topic/show?id=2150375:Topic:4111

it will always come down to "needs of the Navy" first-

My daughter is a Nuke, she's an ET. She was able to choose between ET, EM and MM

William, When you son gets to boot camp around week 4 they will go over his options of the 3 nuke rates. They will then ask him to list his rate preferences in order. First choice, second choice, third choice EM, ET and MM however he chooses. He will get one of those choices. You can look around and see all kind of information on how to choose what but really it only comes down to is the needs of the Navy. How many seats there are in school, how many open positions that are in the fleet. From what I gather, it all come down to how they  process test scores, preference, and gender on any given week.  Here is a link where there is some first hand experience (your results may vary).

http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187

Good luck to you and your son on this journey. My daughter is in week 5 of boot camp and I'm waiting to see what her rate will be. I was hoping for her to be an ET like her old man but I'm not sure how she listed her choices.

Thanks for that link James, we are going through it now. Have not been able to get good information on the rates, or talk to others regarding their experiences. So this is great. My son says if he enjoys what he is doing he would like to make the Navy a career. I hope it works out well for him. Good Luck to you and your daughter. 

James B said:

William, When you son gets to boot camp around week 4 they will go over his options of the 3 nuke rates. They will then ask him to list his rate preferences in order. First choice, second choice, third choice EM, ET and MM however he chooses. He will get one of those choices. You can look around and see all kind of information on how to choose what but really it only comes down to is the needs of the Navy. How many seats there are in school, how many open positions that are in the fleet. From what I gather, it all come down to how they  process test scores, preference, and gender on any given week.  Here is a link where there is some first hand experience (your results may vary).

http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187

Good luck to you and your son on this journey. My daughter is in week 5 of boot camp and I'm waiting to see what her rate will be. I was hoping for her to be an ET like her old man but I'm not sure how she listed her choices.

We found out in week 4. She is an ET.

That's great. Congratulations to her. Do you know if she listed ET as her first preference?

Yes. she went ET, EN, MM. She says most got what they chose except one poor guy with a 98 ASVEB that really wanted ET. He got EM though. She got a 99 so one point...Who knows??

I thought I would post an update for anyone that was following this thread. So far, it all went they way she had hoped. She tested and advanced ETN2 straight from prototype and now on her first deployment. She was selected to be one of the first female nukes on a sub. It was a long road and I'm very proud of her efforts. Of course to reward her for all that hard work, the new command assigned her crank'n duties (galley slave) for 30 days shortly after she qualified Reactor Tech. I guess in the sub fleet there are no shortcuts and they really make you earn those Dolphins. Now, if they could just come to periscope depth so I could get an email from time to time.......

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments