Navy Dads

Thought we might start some sort of discussion area for Great Lakes Lodging to help you plan your trip to PIR.

Try this link for several reviews of some area hotels: 

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDeals-g36077-Great_Lakes_Illinois-H...

Views: 7247

Replies to This Discussion

Our son had PIR on 21 DEC 2012.  We stayed at the Hilton Homewood Suites in Lincolnshire, IL. It was 11 miles south of Great Lakes, right off I-94.  We are a family of 6 so we needed 2 rooms or a suite-type accommodation. 

The room had 2 bedrooms, with 2 full size beds in one BR and a King bed in the other BR and 2 bathrooms, with a small living room with a full pullout sofa and a small kitchenette, stove top, microwave and small fridge/freezer.  It was clean, beds were comfortable.

$160 a night not cheap, but fair value, and included an edible, hot breakfast, eggs, bacon/sausage, waffles to order, cereals, muffins, etc., so overall it was very good if you have a larger family to accommodate. 

No shuttle to PIR, but the hotel arranged taxi for others staying for PIR as well, $3pp, lined up waiting at 0630.  We drove ourselves at 0645 and were parked in the parking garage on base by 0715.

Hi John

Our son Ship 4 Div 806 will PIR on 08 Feb

What route did you take from Homewood Suites to which Gate on base - then to garage ?

SR's GF is going along so we were looking at 2BR/2BA Suites there (quoted $159 with rate code from brochure) but a 1BR King is only $74 - cheaper just to get two rooms!

Thanks.

John T. said:

Our son had PIR on 21 DEC 2012.  We stayed at the Hilton Homewood Suites in Lincolnshire, IL. It was 11 miles south of Great Lakes, right off I-94.  We are a family of 6 so we needed 2 rooms or a suite-type accommodation. 

The room had 2 bedrooms, with 2 full size beds in one BR and a King bed in the other BR and 2 bathrooms, with a small living room with a full pullout sofa and a small kitchenette, stove top, microwave and small fridge/freezer.  It was clean, beds were comfortable.

$160 a night not cheap, but fair value, and included an edible, hot breakfast, eggs, bacon/sausage, waffles to order, cereals, muffins, etc., so overall it was very good if you have a larger family to accommodate. 

No shuttle to PIR, but the hotel arranged taxi for others staying for PIR as well, $3pp, lined up waiting at 0630.  We drove ourselves at 0645 and were parked in the parking garage on base by 0715.

Congratulations. The route is very direct, straight up I-94 to Buckley Road, you actually pass the main gate and make a right to the gate near the parking garage. It is very well signed for graduation. If you can be early you will be better off, the line to get in is fairly long, and I am sure it will be cold. The hotel actually had the breakfast out early for the families attending PIR. Enjoy the day!

At the Great Lakes Navy lodge, they will make reservations for you even though you are not in entitled to use the facilities if you are attending PIR or graduation. They will however put the reservation in your recruits name. This is the only Navy Lodge i know of were the Sailor does not have to be with you during check in. It simply would not be possible for this to happen. You can rent up to a maximum of 3 rooms in your future sailors name for PIR.

Hotel - Navy Lodge is 66.00 a night and there is no tax as it is on base and run by NEX. 1 mile to RTC and the A school drop off point. Nothing is closer. It has every thing you could need. True continental breakfast and free WIFI. Ample parking. Thursday night and Friday gets very busy. It is worth it to arrive Wed night if you can. 1-800-navy-inn.
If you have a recruit who is staying for "A" School in Great Lakes you will do a lot of shuttling to the base. To maximize time with your new sailor I suggest the Navy Lodge.

remember you are limited to 4 guests for the PIR.  interesting question regarding ADA and the hotels....I have not seen anything published about that but would bet any of the larger chains would have facilities....be sure to call and ask with plenty of lead time to find what you need....

and Chris, keep us posted on what you find out....we've had quite a few questions about wheelchair access at PIR but cannot remember any about lodging!

We stayed at the Navy Lodge, 2500 Meridian, for our sons 6/28/2013 graduation. Was an excellent choice, very nice place and people, very close to PIR and to the base for the rest of the weekend. The rooms are big, clean and comfortable. Stretching out on a big soft bed was one of Dan's highlights from the weekend!They were remodeling the lobby but it should be done by now. We stayed for 3 nights, ~$65/night, a great price for the comfort and convenience.

I'm confused...

Is there BOTH a Navy Lodge AND a Navy Gateway Inn & Suites on Great Lakes?

I thought that I was booking a room in the Navy Lodge, but it says it's the Gateway Inn, on base...

if the lodge is full they will try to move you to the Gateway

Here is one parent's recommendations for PIR weekend

I stayed at Springhill Suites in Waukegan and the hotel was great. Rates were pretty much the same as every other I checked out. I would have gotten a better rate in advance had I known I was staying 4 days instead of 2 but only had to pay a bit more for the 1st night. I had planned to attend Sarge's meet and greet but got stuck in rush hour traffic and was wore out by the time I arrived. And I never realized until Saturday, that the Sundance Saloon is right across the street. The only drawback to the hotel was the wireless. While the signal is strong, there is really no connection to the internet. But each room has a cable you can hard wire a lap top to. I'm told the whole area is that way though. Lots of shopping and restaurants in area and only about 15 minutes from base. Giordano's Pizza was great ( 1st time for me for famous deep dish ! ) and for americana fare, Gojo's Pancake house was great. To look at it from the outside you never would have thought it. A " mom and pop " type restaurant but food and pricing were excellent and I couldn't stop looking around the place and remarking on how clean it was. As everyone says on here though, be sure and wear comfortable shoes for a lot of walking. I should loose some weight after this weekend! Enjoy your PIR! 

I am on shoestring budget so looking for decent place close to base and food so i can save money on cabs and my son will have to walk back to base each night so any tips would be great. i am going to do alot of calling on monday dec 22nd because his PIR is Feb 6th

Navy Lodge- $65/night

Duane Duncan said:

I am on shoestring budget so looking for decent place close to base and food so i can save money on cabs and my son will have to walk back to base each night so any tips would be great. i am going to do alot of calling on monday dec 22nd because his PIR is Feb 6th

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments