Navy Dads

Hi Dads.., new poster, so I apologize if I should have instead started this discussion in the Bootcamp grp. I'm sure the mods will point me in the right direction if so.

My son reported to RTC, Great Lakes last night with NSW contract in-hand. Before leaving, he mentioned that the NSW are grouped separately from the Big Navy while in boot camp. This site has a number of great resources regarding what to expect during boot camp. Does anyone have any further information about how the NSW breakout (for lack of a better term) is conducted and how it differs?

Thank you for posting back;
Steve

Views: 1005

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Steve! Your son will explain this in his letters home. It's a way for the Spec Ops guys to do more work specific to their NSW focus. My oldest son (who received his SEAL Trident Aug 6) and my youngest son (who'll graduate with his NSW Division at Great Lakes on Sep 24) have both said this "break out" is great!
Hello, Steve,
I'm new, too. My son reported to RTC last month and graduates soon. He has a SEAL contract, too. His division is a group of sailors all headed to some form of NSW.....most are SEAL recruits. The group seems to have additional training led by SEALs at the RTC. After graduation, the group moves to another command at RTC for an unspecified time pending a position opening up in an upcoming BUD/S class. At least this is how I understand it at this point......most from letters from my son.

Now, having said that, I think that there are probably a lot of unknowns that the basic trainees face at RTC. So, after graduation, I'm not sure what the next assignment is but it seems that it won't be directly to Indoc or BUD/s in Coronado, CA. We'll see. I'll try to post updates as I learn them.
Hi Jerry & Richard! Thank you both very much for responding. I think that it's awesome, they get these guys together from the very beginning. ..start preparing them now for the road ahead.

Jerry - please send my congrats to your oldest. I can't imagine a bigger prize.., all the hard work for the ultimate pay off, to wear the Trident... You must be incredibly proud.

Jerry & Richard -To both your recruits, I wish the best.

Now the hard part.., waiting for those letters to start coming in from mine... :p

Thanks again!
Welcome everyone, this will be a long and hard journey your guys have chosen. Jerry and I have BTDT so if there is something you don't understand or have questions I am sure Jerry like me would be happy to help you. My GS is very close to his first deployment and I am not looking forward to it but I think he is.

HooYah U.S. Navy SEALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Steve, I hope you will thank your son on my behalf for his service! My son left for RTC in March, Graduated in May, completed Pre Buds & Indoc and just finished his first week of Buds Phase 1 yesterday....please feel free to message me anytime you have questions. I will be more than happy to help if I can...

Thanks!
Bob
Richard,
My son is in first phase...Class 285 please feel free to shoot me a note with any questions you might have...I will do my best...

RichardC said:
Hello, Steve,
I'm new, too. My son reported to RTC last month and graduates soon. He has a SEAL contract, too. His division is a group of sailors all headed to some form of NSW.....most are SEAL recruits. The group seems to have additional training led by SEALs at the RTC. After graduation, the group moves to another command at RTC for an unspecified time pending a position opening up in an upcoming BUD/S class. At least this is how I understand it at this point......most from letters from my son.

Now, having said that, I think that there are probably a lot of unknowns that the basic trainees face at RTC. So, after graduation, I'm not sure what the next assignment is but it seems that it won't be directly to Indoc or BUD/s in Coronado, CA. We'll see. I'll try to post updates as I learn them.
Hi GP273... Thank you very much! Please send our best to your GS. That first deployment has *got* to be an experience all unto itself. He and all that server are in our thoughts & prayers.

grandpa273 said:
... My GS is very close to his first deployment and I am not looking forward to it but I think he is.

HooYah U.S. Navy SEALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi pirate4691.., I certainly will - Thank you very much!

pirate4691 (Ship 04 Div 812) said:
Hi Steve, I hope you will thank your son on my behalf for his service! ...

Thanks!
Bob
Here's a question... Since my son's next phase of training will be conducted across the field from the RTC, I assume that he'll be a Grad-N-Go. Is that correct? ..or is that pretty much an unknown until closer to PIR?
He will move across the street when there is room available. It could be that afternoon or in a day or two. He will not be able to have cell phone or computer until he moves. He might have to be back on Base on Sat. to move or he may be able to visit with you the whole weekend. When the guys ship to Coronado and they have room for the new recruits they move.
RichardC, be sure to read the comment I left on your page and be very careful what you post on this or any other internet web site.

Please contact me or Creator (E.G.) if you have questions.

Thanks
Hi Timothy.., I'm actually very glad to hear that. My RTC'er has been busting his tail over the last year (6 months+ in DEP) to better prepare himself for the road ahead. It would be a shame to lose any of that momentum.., not to mention, performance.

Timothy said:
... From what he tells us his division during basic was made up of SEAL, SWCC, and Diver candidates. They seemed to receive a MUCH more disciplined and rigorous training than other recruits and were held to a higher standard. ...

It looks like the best bet is to just stay very flexible. -- We're just four days in.., and already I'm anxious ;)

Timothy also said:
... After the PIR ceremony he had one hour to report to his ship, gather his belongings and move to a new ship on base. It took his group about 6-7 hours before they were let go on leave. He was allowed to leave base all weekend as long as he reported in by phone each morning and evening. But I don't think this is the case for all new sailors and some had to be back each night by 9PM. ...

Thank you for all your help, Timothy and everyone who has responded.

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments