Navy Dads

Hi Dads.., new poster, so I apologize if I should have instead started this discussion in the Bootcamp grp. I'm sure the mods will point me in the right direction if so.

My son reported to RTC, Great Lakes last night with NSW contract in-hand. Before leaving, he mentioned that the NSW are grouped separately from the Big Navy while in boot camp. This site has a number of great resources regarding what to expect during boot camp. Does anyone have any further information about how the NSW breakout (for lack of a better term) is conducted and how it differs?

Thank you for posting back;
Steve

Views: 1005

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a new poster, however, I've been an avid reader of this site for over a year since our son decided to forgo lawschool for SWONEC & a shot at the prize. He was Ship 04 Div 816 & PIR'd on 7/30/10. The info & support offered here is outstanding, & I encourage the Recruit -Dads to contact those that have gone thru it . I wish I had done so, it sure would have eased the angst! After PIR most of the Division went "across the street" [to pre-buds] as they say, & were able to have the whole weekend off. Don't miss PIR! The Base Band strikes up that John Phillip Sousa stuff & it's a pulse churner! We thought he'd be @ pre-BUD/S for a much longer time, but flew to Coronado after final testing on Monday. Good Luck to all of your sons & God Bless them all, too!!!
Hi all, my son reported to RTC on Nov. 3 with a SWCC contract. All the info being shared here is great and pretty much what I have heard from multiple sources. The only thing I haven't been able to confirm is what their phone call regularity is as compared to the other non - NSW divisions at RTC. I have heard that they will not be able to contact us until at least week 5 if we're lucky. My wife is a basket case waiting for that first phone call!
About the only real difference in Boot Camp is they get up earlier and workout and get extra workout that the others don't get. Rules are the same, since they expect more of them they may take longer to get extras like phone call.
My GS Class started Indoc with 170+ at SQT Graduation when they get their Trident GS was one of 6 left in the Class from the orginal starting Class. I know of one Class that had 0 Graduates. If you ever get a chance to go to NSWC you will the placques for all the Classes and you will see the one with 0.
I thank you all for the great info. My son is not what you would call a prolific writer, so we did not get much from the one letter we have received from him...1...in 30 days. We also have not yet received a phone call, so we are wondering and hoping he is making it O.K. When we dropped him off with his recruiter prior to going to the hotel for the trip to GL, the recruiter asked his mother and I if "he's always been that quiet and "even keel". The recruiter said this would help him in the rating he chose...we will see!
Was your son in division 816 at GL our son was and just completed hellweek too

Michael Peterson said:
They are much harder on the SW guys in boot camp. This advice is a little late for you, but maybe not for others. They need to be physically prepared, then the "rest" they get during boot camp will not set them back as far. When they graduate and start pre-buds at GL, they need to take it seriously. IF they can't meet the physical demands there, they head off into the fleet.

They need to follow all the rules and be honest when they screw up. Some recruits leave the SW division just because they forgot they are not in high school any more.

My son recently completed hell week. He and 7 others were in the division he graduated with at great lakes. 85 started in boot camp and 8 finished hell week 6 mos later. Of course there were many roll ins and additions to his buds class, but, think about that.....8 from 85.

They need to be absolutely prepared physically and want it bad enough to put up with anything. And I mean anything.

Preparing their bodies to avoid stress fractures seems to be a good tact too. good luck.
Thank you. We received two letters from him today - he says they will be given a phone call on Tuesday, 12/7 and be allowed a 12 hour liberty on Christmas day. We plan on going out to see him for this, followed by graduation on 1/7.

The NSW Guys will all be together and when they graduate from boot camp will stay at GL in another facility where the will wait for thier class cycle.  After which they will head out to Coronodo... good luck

Lots of good information. I'm glad I read this discussion forum first before posting. Last posting appears to be July 28, 2011. Seems to be a rather large gap of "no discussion" up to this point, or did I miss a few pages somewhere? Anyways, my NSW guy just started RTC, and we have received his safe arrival call. My question is: Has the trend lately been for these guys to grad-n-go to a pre-BUD/S ship there in GL, or are they shipping directly out to Coronado? Obviously, we're making plans now for attending PIR, and want to spend the max amount of time with him. Thanks in advance for any responses...cheers!

They go from basic training pir graduation and move across the street to a pre-buds class right there at great lakes. From there it's based on competitive pst scores before they can move on to Coronado for indoc. The process is repeated again at indoc before they actually class up.

Thanks Jerseydad!

Jerseydad said:

They go from basic training pir graduation and move across the street to a pre-buds class right there at great lakes. From there it's based on competitive pst scores before they can move on to Coronado for indoc. The process is repeated again at indoc before they actually class up.

Do they even get a few hours with parents after PIR and before Pre-BUD/S?  

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments