Navy Dads

Hey all new here;

 

My son leaves for basic on Monday, He has told me that if he wasn't issued it he won't need it, I understand this being Prior AF but there are some things that just makes life easyier.

 

We have already set up a Credit union account for him, and I plan on sending him with a little cash just in case, Also plan on a 200 min calling card, plenty of envalopes and stamps.

 

From the experienced out there what else does he need to take with him?  Just trying to get all the ducks in a row before monday.

 

Thanks

 

JG

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well It's been a week almost, Got our generic Letter in the mail today.  Son is in Ship 12 Div 101.  Is that the same as your son Joel?  Grad date set for 11 mar 11.  He did say BootCamp   Was AWESOME!!  I think he has been looking forward to this for some time.  Glad he's enjoying it at least for the time being   LOL
We have not received a letter from Tom yet, so we are not sure what his grad date is. We had done a rough estimate and thought it was going to be the 18th of Mar, but your son left the same time as Tom so we are not so sure.  But as soon as we hear from him we will let you know. Good to hear your son is enjoying bootcamp, I hope Tom is enjoying it as well. Talk to you soon


Joseph Gendreau said:
Well It's been a week almost, Got our generic Letter in the mail today.  Son is in Ship 12 Div 101.  Is that the same as your son Joel?  Grad date set for 11 mar 11.  He did say BootCamp   Was AWESOME!!  I think he has been looking forward to this for some time.  Glad he's enjoying it at least for the time being   LOL
Starting week 2 and no phone call yet,  I guess that's a good thing.  Means all's going good.  The credit Union is the same one that I had while I was in the AirForce they offer the same types of perks.  so he can allways change if he wants later.  Wife has been sending letters to him almost every day.  They sent back his folder that had all his writing supplies  Not sure if he has had a chance to get some new ones yet to send us a letter.  He still has his phone card and I was told some time between week 2 and 3 he may be able to call home for a short bit.  we'll see
Good Luck, my son's PIR was this weekend and it was amazing. Met lots of the parents at Navy for Moms meet 'n' greet the night prior. We got our first call week 3, others said week 4, one division went to 5. It depends on the RDC's and the division's performance...not necessarily your son's performance in particular. I was very fortunate, we got 9 calls total...though two were actually bad news (injuries & delays). Three others were awards for personal or the division's great performance on an individual task. Others I met got only 3 calls total. I guess you just have to hope and always keep that phone next to you. We got all our calls in the afternoon or evening GL time except one that came at 9 pm GL time. Calls came both weekdays and weekends. They were all over the map...just keep your phone with you all the time and if you get multiple calls ask your sailor how many minutes are left on their card. You don't want to not get a call over that. Hope you get many calls...but all are good. 

Joseph Gendreau said:
Starting week 2 and no phone call yet,  I guess that's a good thing.  Means all's going good.  The credit Union is the same one that I had while I was in the AirForce they offer the same types of perks.  so he can allways change if he wants later.  Wife has been sending letters to him almost every day.  They sent back his folder that had all his writing supplies  Not sure if he has had a chance to get some new ones yet to send us a letter.  He still has his phone card and I was told some time between week 2 and 3 he may be able to call home for a short bit.  we'll see
Thanks for the heads up

JG,

 

Congratulations to your son and your family.

 

The most difficult transition for you folks will be the 'silence.'

 

You should start to write immediately...space out the letters. But realize that your son won't receive the correspondence for 3 weeks and you will not receive anything until after the USPS delivers mail after the 3rd week.

 

My daughter went in on 1/4/11 and we didn't get a phone call until 1/23. Only a month to go before graduation.

 

FYI- in her letters it has gone from extremely horrible...to horrible...to her discussing the parts she likes. Having only experienced fraternity pledging and sports Hell weeks...I don't seem to remember anything I 'liked.'

 

Best wishes for you all.

Well on Sunday he earned a special Call time for having the shiniest boots.  It was a suprise!!   All was well and it was a short call, he said that there was a mandatory call for ever on the following day.  That call lasted 20 minutes and he was very excited to finally talk to us, ( well me, Mom hadn't made it home from work yet)  He said he passed his first tests with flying colors and a bunch of them had colds but he was tuffing through it.  He said that it's really cold and they march everywhere.  Being that he's a southern mississippi boy I bet Chicago Winter is killing him   ROFLMAO!!!   He says there was 4 ft of snow everywhere, LOL.  He has never spent too much time in the snow except the ocaisional visits to Upstate NY or Utah.  He say's that he always get's looked at by the instructors because he's the 2nd tallest in his group, so if someone snickers or laugh's they think it's him!!!   Funny he should be use to being blame all the time being the youngest of two.  LOL    All sounds good and looking forward to flying up for Grad in a month.

 

Any of you out there have kids grading on the 11 mar 11 group?   Maybe we'll do a meet and greet on the evening ov the 10th if all goes well.

Glad to hear you got a call...my 6'4" son said the same thing about height. Unfortunately he remained sick the whole time...'The Ricky Crud' as they called it never lets up for some of them. I hope he has as good an experience as my son - he loved it...Navy Mom's has a Meet N Greet at the Ramada Inn at Waukegan every Thursday before graduation. It is about 10 minutes from base north on Green Bay Road...you can't miss it. Great opportunity to meet people from your division and PIR group. About a 100 or more showed up for ours. Drinks are probably a buck more than they should be...but that is minor. The Ramada does a nice thing here. Great opportunity to meet people...we remain in contact with many parents from that night. Enjoy your PIR...we certainly did.

Joseph Gendreau said:

Well on Sunday he earned a special Call time for having the shiniest boots.  It was a suprise!!   All was well and it was a short call, he said that there was a mandatory call for ever on the following day.  That call lasted 20 minutes and he was very excited to finally talk to us, ( well me, Mom hadn't made it home from work yet)  He said he passed his first tests with flying colors and a bunch of them had colds but he was tuffing through it.  He said that it's really cold and they march everywhere.  Being that he's a southern mississippi boy I bet Chicago Winter is killing him   ROFLMAO!!!   He says there was 4 ft of snow everywhere, LOL.  He has never spent too much time in the snow except the ocaisional visits to Upstate NY or Utah.  He say's that he always get's looked at by the instructors because he's the 2nd tallest in his group, so if someone snickers or laugh's they think it's him!!!   Funny he should be use to being blame all the time being the youngest of two.  LOL    All sounds good and looking forward to flying up for Grad in a month.

 

Any of you out there have kids grading on the 11 mar 11 group?   Maybe we'll do a meet and greet on the evening ov the 10th if all goes well.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

Click

SUPPORTERS

Google-Based NavyDads Search


  only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

CHIEF PETTY OFFICER

Posted by John W Hensman on October 9, 2021 at 4:21pm 0 Comments

Form letter

Posted by John D O'Rourke on September 16, 2021 at 5:58am 2 Comments

Boot Camp

Posted by Mark F Durovka on March 22, 2021 at 8:46pm 2 Comments

RTC

Posted by Thomas ODonnell on January 10, 2021 at 3:00pm 7 Comments

Bittersweet Happiness

Posted by Jim Lisi on December 13, 2020 at 1:21pm 3 Comments

© 2021   Created by E.G. - ND's Creator/Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service