Navy Dads

Well, my son is out of sub school for a while, qualified and out to sea.

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to offer what I know from my experience of one!

Views: 749

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kenorian, my son Andrew is currently in BESS and will be going to FT school after that, from what I've been told they may need their own PCs for their classes, in that case do you know when they would need it by and can they get a student discount through the NEX to purchase one, and is there a specific type, make, model,or megabyte that they need. Any info would be of help. Thanks Dean
Dean S. said:
Hi Kenorian, my son Andrew is currently in BESS and will be going to FT school after that, from what I've been told they may need their own PCs for their classes, in that case do you know when they would need it by and can they get a student discount through the NEX to purchase one, and is there a specific type, make, model,or megabyte that they need. Any info would be of help. Thanks Dean

Dean, my son is an FT. He graduated A school aver a year ago so my knowledge is a bit stale. But, I can tell you a couple of things that might still apply. As for the PC, he did have one, but he couldn't use it for anything involved with his classes. All of the stuff that FT's study is highly classified. I know that he even had to turn in his entire notebook from school when he graduated. Much of the work was done on computers, but he used ones at the school. There were lots of nights that he would work for several hours after class on the computers at the school on his own time, but none of that was done on his personal PC. Things may have changed some now, that was just his experience.
Well, my info on BESS and A school is also stale. But, I agree completely with what Dean says....

Dean S. said:
Question? My youngest son just joined the Navy and left for Great Lakes last week. Last weekend we went up to Groton and visited his older brother (BESS). We are wondering .... can he change to Submarine Service? Jake enlisted for the advanced electroncis program. Jake was really impressed with the submarine sevice. Thanks jim
Can't help you with this one..... I believe that changes are always possible, but I supposed he'd have to talk to his RDC to find out what the process is....
Warning to Submarine Dad's:
If you have a sailor headed for Groton CT. for training, tell them, that the gas station, just outside the gate, is off limits to all Navy, my son, reported to Groton BESS, was shown to his room, told to report for muster, in the morning, he reported as ordered, and was told, "you are on a two week hold, until your class fill's up", that was it, He befriended some shipmates, one shipmate, saw a car he wanted to buy, so the 4 of them rented a car on base, and headed out, upon returning to base, with said car, and rental car, they knew they had to gas-up the rental, before returning it, so they stopped at said gas station, that unknow to them. was "off limits", they had no indock, or anything, were not told "do's and don't".
They were in uniform, do to the type of liberty they were on, they get nabbed by SP, and now, all four have to go before the chief's board, for the possibility of discipline.
So far, my son's stay at Gorton, CT. hasn't been ideal, and as in my other post, he now has med. disqual. for sub service, do to acne.

Question- Our son is graduating from BESS on 1/14 and we live close enough to go to the graduation.  BC graduation required us to give names and get a parking pass etc.  I get the impression that outside of having the necessarry documentation to get onto the base, you just kind of show up.  Not sure if you went or not but if there is something we need to do in advance that would be great to know.

Pete

Hello everyone.My son has his PIR on 4-22-11 and leaves for sub school on the next day.I am wondering if there is a break after BESS.I am not sure where he will go after that,his rate is a Machinist Mate.
He can check after his fifth week while in RTC.

Kenorian said:
Can't help you with this one..... I believe that changes are always possible, but I supposed he'd have to talk to his RDC to find out what the process is....

So what is up with the gas station?

Randy Bloom said:

If you have a sailor headed for Groton CT. for training, tell them, that the gas station, just outside the gate, is off limits to all Navy, my son, reported to Groton BESS, was shown to his room, told to report for muster, in the morning, he reported as ordered, and was told, "you are on a two week hold, until your class fill's up", that was it, He befriended some shipmates, one shipmate, saw a car he wanted to buy, so the 4 of them rented a car on base, and headed out, upon returning to base, with said car, and rental car, they knew they had to gas-up the rental, before returning it, so they stopped at said gas station, that unknow to them. was "off limits", they had no indock, or anything, were not told "do's and don't".
They were in uniform, do to the type of liberty they were on, they get nabbed by SP, and now, all four have to go before the chief's board, for the possibility of discipline.
So far, my son's stay at Gorton, CT. hasn't been ideal, and as in my other post, he now has med. disqual. for sub service, do to acne.
My son did have a break after BESS, but it was also around Christmas, so can't say for sure.

Frank Schenck said:
Hello everyone.My son has his PIR on 4-22-11 and leaves for sub school on the next day.I am wondering if there is a break after BESS.I am not sure where he will go after that,his rate is a Machinist Mate.

Can't figure out why:  http://www.cnic.navy.mil/newlondon/

In accordance with the Armed Forces Disciplinary Control Board for the CT area the following establishments are off-limits to military personnel at all times: A. Old glory music entertainment or such establishment at 1804 Boston post road, old saybrook, Connecticut 06475. B. Corys food mart and gas station at 208 route 12, Groton, Connecticut 06340. C. Connecticutz barber salon at 79 gold star highway, Groton, Connecticut 06340. D. Northern lights at 771 long hill rd, Groton, Connecticut 06340 A violation of this standing order by U.S. military personnel is punishable under article 92 of the uniform code of military justice. This message remains effective until cancelled or superseded.

Frank Schenck said:

So what is up with the gas station?

Randy Bloom said:

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments

my dad skII Wolfcale