Navy Dads

I can only express my opinions and feelings about our trip to Great Lakes and PIR. Hold on tight, here goes:

First the good parts: We stayed at the Navy Lodge. It was a nice place, full of navy families all in support of their sons, daughters, brothers, wives and husbands. Every day you would pass by someone in a uniform (almost all the branches were seen there. Obviously some of these recruits were carrying on family traditions).

We rented a car at the airport and drove to the lodge, with road construction it took just short of two hours for the 35 mile drive. Bring change for the toll booths. Bring a GPS; it is a Godsend in that area - let me rephrase that - BRING A GPS!

We chose to take a taxi to PIR because we heard that traffic into the base would be pretty bad. I would say we chose the right thing. It saved setting in traffic for, maybe, an half an hour or more. As for the cab rate, I heard it was $5.00 per car… ours charged $5.00 per person. I guess it depends on who takes you. After PIR I took a cab back to the hotel and picked up the car and drove back and picked up the family. That gave mom some bonding time in the NEX with our son. Mom will need lots of bonding time. So will dad.

When you get onto base you will have to go through a metal detector and screening, it is not as bad as the airport but, it is a line. We were sent through two screening lines. The MP didn’t give good directions, we only needed to go through the first one, the second was for people who drove in. Oh, well, what is another half hour standing in line? That would be an hour in lines for those of you who drive. Just a word of warning here – when they say they want you seated at 8:45 this is what they mean: At 8:40 the parade deck is cleared (it is the only way onto and off of the bleachers and the balcony) and the doors are shut and locked, no one goes in or out any more. The Navy means it when they give you a time. Until liberty is called no body moves.

For picture sake, setting in the balcony is best. Remember the kindergarten plays where every parent stood up to get a better view of their child in the play? Well, it is that on steroids. Make sure you buy the video because pictures are not easy to take. If you can pull off taking pictures, man, what a sight… You are better off to get to your sailor if you are on the parade deck. As soon as liberty is called it is like a bunch of ants all caffeined up. No one is even close to where you just saw them. The crowd is so thick I watched my wife pass within two people of my son and they never saw each other. I had my daughter stay in the bleachers and guide me to my son. Then I brought him to my daughter and had her guide me into my wife. Did I say there was a crowd? You get 10 minutes in the hall and then you have to be out, the good part is you take your sailor with you. There were some Grad-and-Go’s but our son wasn’t one of them. Going out of the hall is a crowd a half mile long and you will have to clear the walk ways for new recruits marching in formation. That was interesting, you could see what a difference a few weeks make by comparing what you have just seen and the new groups marching.

Now, back to the reason to rent a car (we used expedia, $90.00 for a small SUV for the weekend), there is nothing close to the base. Most of the sailors want to get off the base they have been confined to for the past two months and the first stop for many is the Gurnee Mills Mall. I think it is less than five miles away but the first trip, without the GPS, was a hour drive, the second with the GPS was about twenty minutes (did I mention to take a GPS?). There is a restaurant, the Crab Pot (?) by the mall, or I think it was, great food, prices were good and according to my son, “no Red Ropes.” The other place that was good home style cooking was near the base (two miles or so from the gate) is Flannigan’s, but according to my son that is where the Red Ropes go after duty.

We love museums and we took the opportunity to go to the Museum of Science and History, the GPS dropped us off right at the museum (did I say take a GPS?). We were going to take the train but by the time all the bus transfers were made it would have been a two hour trip to get there, in the car it was 45 minutes. We had a good time. It was a place where we could talk, or just be, we did both.

A little more good stuff:

My son was changed, all for the good. He is more reserved, clear headed, principled, dedicated. He didn’t break into jokes like he would have two months ago, and I missed that, but I did still see the glimmer in his eye when he would have made a joke. I guess I know him well enough that I could hear the joke by the look in his eye. He talked about getting a degree and his future. This time it was not passing conversation it was a plan, a goal.

Now the hard stuff:

He talked of Duty, Honor and Sacrifice. He explained why if he had to he could give his life for his shipmates, his ship, and his country. He did it with such ease, just as if he was talking about making breakfast. It is hard to explain pride and pain when they are delivered in the same spoon.

Sunday night there were goodbyes, prayers and hugs. My parting word to him were, “take care of yourself and come home.” His answer back was, “I will if I can, Love you dad.”

What do you do with that?

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greg, very impressive. The Navydads Admin. sent me a link to this discussion. My son will PIR (we hope) on Dec. 5th. We have not heard from him since his "arrived safe" phone call. We are sending letters everyday. As my son has been away for nearly four weeks, I guess I started wondering about the things that I have done to raise him and really began to question myself. Paul sent me to read your PIR post. I can't wait to be in your shoes. My son was one who never really talked about doing anything long term in his life till he started talking about joining the Navy. Before he was only concerned about what he was having for the next meal. Before he departed for BC he told me that he would like to get a degree while in the Navy, go to OCS and possibly stay for twenty years. Since we have had no communications with him, I was wondering if he was still excited about the Navy. I have been an old crusty, because I was raised by one, I will be the one at PIR babbling like a baby. No matter what my son does I am proud of him for taking this step. Your post was very inspiring. I read it to my wife and she cried. Of course she now cries at my 16 yr old daugther's soccer game during the National Anthem. I can tell the pride in your writing, as you should be. Tell your son great job, and by the way Greg "great job".
Be very proud!!
Gregg Awesome! Like Dave's wife mine was also crying while reading it. I'm glad y'all had a great time at PIR. It is an unbelievable experience. Thanks for sharing yours with us.
Dave said:
Greg, very impressive. The Navydads Admin. sent me a link to this discussion. My son will PIR (we hope) on Dec. 5th. We have not heard from him since his "arrived safe" phone call. We are sending letters everyday. As my son has been away for nearly four weeks, I guess I started wondering about the things that I have done to raise him and really began to question myself. Paul sent me to read your PIR post. I can't wait to be in your shoes. My son was one who never really talked about doing anything long term in his life till he started talking about joining the Navy. Before he was only concerned about what he was having for the next meal. Before he departed for BC he told me that he would like to get a degree while in the Navy, go to OCS and possibly stay for twenty years. Since we have had no communications with him, I was wondering if he was still excited about the Navy. I have been an old crusty, because I was raised by one, I will be the one at PIR babbling like a baby. No matter what my son does I am proud of him for taking this step. Your post was very inspiring. I read it to my wife and she cried. Of course she now cries at my 16 yr old daugther's soccer game during the National Anthem. I can tell the pride in your writing, as you should be. Tell your son great job, and by the way Greg "great job".

We only got two real calls while Geoffrey was in BC. I was away from home on both of them. I have heard some recruits got more calls and some got less. I don't think we got our first letter for close to 3 weeks, so your time should be coming. They are only allowed to write on Sunday so that means (or at lest for us it was) Wednesday or Thursday will be letter day.

I understand the second guessing part. I did a great deal of that myself. Most of Geoffrey’s life I have been on second shift and I wondered how that affected him. Our youngest son had talked for years about going into the military but the first time Geoffrey said anything was when he said he signed up for DEP.

From Geoffrey’s letters, I can say that they wax and wane for a few weeks especially when things get hard. At some point they arrive at the understanding that they are part of something bigger than themselves and that is when you will see the tone of the letters change. About this point your son will go from wanting to get a degree to telling you he is going to do it.

Support you wife, support your daughter, support your son and when you get to PIR you will see the brightest diamond that has ever been.

Thank you

Godspeed.

Greg
My son is going to be in the Christmas Batch...not sure on the date I have heard 12/19, 12/24 and 01/04. I found some good rates for airfair if I were to fly into WI instead of O'Hare (230.00 round trip), but for me and my daughter that would take a large chunk from the budget, plus Coty's dad is scared to fly. So right now he is going to drive from Florida to my house and were going to drive up together and split the gas costs. My only concern with that is that we will get caught in bad weather or horrible snow and be stuck somewhere and miss the PIR. I have reserved a room already for the week before up to the week after Xmas just to ensure I have a place. I can always knock days off once I know the exact date. I hate flying but I would love to just be there and not worry.
I am hoping he is not one of those who will grad and go. But, I would gladly still pay for the trip just to see him for 45 minutes.
Iam going to look into getting one of those GPS and will take your advise to take a shuttle from the hotel or a taxi to the PIR and leave the car at the hotel. Your the third person I have heard say that.

questions: Is it a far walk from where they drop you off or park to the Hall? My father gets very winded when walked long distances and has to rest. Do people make signs too hold up so that your child can find you?
Coty's Mom,
Your son should graduate 9 fridays from when he arrived at RTC if this helps. My son Jason is on processing day 2-3 and this Friday will be the first one of the 9 and by calculations will put him at PIR on the 2nd of Jan 09 but due to less recruits it could be adjusted. Go to the RTC website and look for future grad dates and see if his ship is listed, the latest one is 19 Dec08 right now. He is also there for the holiday season but this is what he decided on and we supported him. I have been to my own pass and review in 1981 then had the chance to attend one while I was stationed in Chicago before I retired in 2001. The same feelings even though I did not have anyone I knew in those recuits were very strong and makes one proud. I have seen the battlestations that they will go through and it will be a very long day when that point comes but they will do fine as they have been taught by some of the finest sailors we have.
Weather- Chicago is very unpredictable in the winter and it most likely be bitter cold from the lake winds if temps are low. I had seen that one hotel had a shuttle and the posts by people staying there said it was very good. Dress warm and usually you can get help or they allow the shuttle to the drill hall to drop off passengers that need help. The crouds should not be bad at all.
I have not seen signs before as you and he will pick each other out right away and get together when liberty call is sounded. I hope this helps some.
Take care,
Don, Jason's Dad
Remember to check out the group PIR-Tips, Hints and Helps. A bunch of us have posted there and there are a lot of suggestions and experiences for your reading. There are aslo some posted in the Bootcamp group.
Jenene (Coty's Mom) said:
questions: Is it a far walk from where they drop you off or park to the Hall? My father gets very winded when walked long distances and has to rest. Do people make signs too hold up so that your child can find you?

I would say it is a strong quarter mile. Taking a car in will shorten that by about half, but you will be standing in line for a while.

If that helps.
I just joined the site today and am catching up on the postings here. Greg, that was an awesome post. My daughter, God willing, will PIR on Dec. 5th. She is in Div903 USS Constitution, she was in the triple threat drill team that performed at today's PIR. Talked to her last Sunday, the 16th and all was well. It is amazing how you can just hear the change in their attitude and voice. I went thru Air Force basic back in 1971 so I know what she's going thru, but it's different when it's your little girl. My wife is taking this 8weeks way better than I am. I look so forward to her weekly letters and can't wait to see her in full uniform at graduation. My wife has had us booked into the Navy Lodge for quite awhile so we'll hope to see some other proud parents there on the 5th. BTW, I always take my Garmin, but thanks for the tip :) Again, thanks for the great post.......... Rick
Coty's mom,

It was suggested you might know something about the recruits that are PIRing on December 24 who's A schools are closed for the holidays so they are to have 2 weeks leave but must pay for thier own transportation home. Is it realistic they will be able to book flights leaving on the 24th?
Intelchips said:
Coty's mom,

It was suggested you might know something about the recruits that are PIRing on December 24 who's A schools are closed for the holidays so they are to have 2 weeks leave but must pay for thier own transportation home. Is it realistic they will be able to book flights leaving on the 24th?

I can't say. My son PIRed in Oct. and had to stay on base at night, there was no leave, per se. I would post the question on the PIR forum. Sorry.

As to the flight, I don't think the airlines will take the day off.

My son in Pensacola for A school right now: we are flying him home in two weeks. We will have him for 9 days. Needless to say the grandparents are excited.
PIR great weekend on 1/22. Flew into Midway- no luggage or car issues, used my GPS as suggested. Got me right there. Marriot Court Yard nice place to stay, Starbucks 100 feet away- two restaurant 250 yards away. Drove to PIR early enought to be in front, however, , stay in right lane when you get within 4 blocks of gate or you will have trouble getting in line. Went through check point no problem due to fact that there were 6 less groups graduating this week. Great ceremony, awsome. Buy your video ahead and enjoy while there.
Italian Restaurant tip- go to Trattoria Formaggio in Libertyville- great food, owner a Veitnam Vet- great guy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments