Navy Dads

My son just left for boot camp on October 28 and I know that this is jumping the gun considering all the possible scenarios that will decide my son's PIR... but if his boot camp takes the "normal" length of time, will graduation still occur on a holiday?

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shane, I had the good fortune to talk to my son again today- he needed even more info for his clearance. He was confident and happy and seemed to be adjusting real well. Made me feel great. I had a conversation with a good friend at work who hails from a Navy family... He asked if I had received the emotional call or letter yet- That if I did, that it was normal and it would be followed by a completely different reaction the next time we spoke. He was so right. Here's to our sons, my friend- I know they're doing well.
Mark

Shane Snyder said:
It is really nice to be able to talk to someone else about this, I more then anyone in our family including my ex wife (Seans) mom. had the hardest time with him leaving even though we had been planning on it for almost a year still was pretty painful. I am very proud of him and know this has been the right decision (he has been planning on the Navy every since he was 12). He is a great kid and I know will be a good man.

Mark said:
Shane,
I know exactly what you mean. With David joining the Navy (our youngest son), I was worried for him and worried for my wife when the separation occurred- only to find out that I was the one that was hit the hardest. Two weeks went by with no word and then a call at work... makes me emotional still. But now I know what I really knew all along- that he was fine and happy and I'm proud as hell. Before David left, he was very nonchalant about getting a lot of mail- that he would be fine... and when we spoke he said, "Dad, remember how we talked about the letters?... those will be important. Some of the recruits are already getting mail and all of the others are wishing they had letters too." The next morning, I drove to the Post Office and bought 20 stamped envelopes. I'm going to send him a letter every day even if I have nothing to write. Good luck, Shane with you and your son and family.
Mark

Shane Snyder said:
Mark:

Thanks for the info that will help a lot. funny how just getting the address is somewhat a relief, when I was in the recuriters office they still had some pictures up of Sean, he was really well thought of in the office (spent close to a year DEP) and made a lot of friends with the recuriters. So I will get a letter off to him yet tonight.

Mark said:
Shane,
I'm right there with you but here's how the address needs to read:

SR Snyder, Sean (middle initial)
SHIP 09 DIV034
Recruit Training Command
3415 Sailor Drive
Great Lakes, IL 60088-3515

Mail often!
Mark

Shane Snyder said:
I just today found out my sons address, it's Ship #9 Div #34. I am very new to this and was wondering if anyone can give me some info on how this breaks down. If I sound stupid on this I apologize in advance. Thank you.
that's great on hearing from your boy! What is it he is going to be doing after basic? I thought that Seans letter was pretty upbeat felt pretty good about it all around. I have to agree with you I think they are doing great and heres to friendship
Shane

Mark said:
Shane, I had the good fortune to talk to my son again today- he needed even more info for his clearance. He was confident and happy and seemed to be adjusting real well. Made me feel great. I had a conversation with a good friend at work who hails from a Navy family... He asked if I had received the emotional call or letter yet- That if I did, that it was normal and it would be followed by a completely different reaction the next time we spoke. He was so right. Here's to our sons, my friend- I know they're doing well.
Mark

Shane Snyder said:
It is really nice to be able to talk to someone else about this, I more then anyone in our family including my ex wife (Seans) mom. had the hardest time with him leaving even though we had been planning on it for almost a year still was pretty painful. I am very proud of him and know this has been the right decision (he has been planning on the Navy every since he was 12). He is a great kid and I know will be a good man.

Mark said:
Shane,
I know exactly what you mean. With David joining the Navy (our youngest son), I was worried for him and worried for my wife when the separation occurred- only to find out that I was the one that was hit the hardest. Two weeks went by with no word and then a call at work... makes me emotional still. But now I know what I really knew all along- that he was fine and happy and I'm proud as hell. Before David left, he was very nonchalant about getting a lot of mail- that he would be fine... and when we spoke he said, "Dad, remember how we talked about the letters?... those will be important. Some of the recruits are already getting mail and all of the others are wishing they had letters too." The next morning, I drove to the Post Office and bought 20 stamped envelopes. I'm going to send him a letter every day even if I have nothing to write. Good luck, Shane with you and your son and family.
Mark

Shane Snyder said:
Mark:

Thanks for the info that will help a lot. funny how just getting the address is somewhat a relief, when I was in the recuriters office they still had some pictures up of Sean, he was really well thought of in the office (spent close to a year DEP) and made a lot of friends with the recuriters. So I will get a letter off to him yet tonight.

Mark said:
Shane,
I'm right there with you but here's how the address needs to read:

SR Snyder, Sean (middle initial)
SHIP 09 DIV034
Recruit Training Command
3415 Sailor Drive
Great Lakes, IL 60088-3515

Mail often!
Mark

Shane Snyder said:
I just today found out my sons address, it's Ship #9 Div #34. I am very new to this and was wondering if anyone can give me some info on how this breaks down. If I sound stupid on this I apologize in advance. Thank you.
Shane,
My son will be training to be a CTT. After basic, he's scheduled to go to Pensacola for his A School. When I spoke to him the other day he indicated that he may get as much as 4 days off after graduation... we'll see- but that would be awesome. Right now I'm starting to research the hotels and try to nail one down for reservations. And I see that your son will be training to become an MA! And I also see in your profile that you're in law enforcement... (2) of the friends that I've made on this sight are police officers and my best friend is also a police officer. Interesting. Have you looked into any hotels yet? I'd be interested to know your thoughts.
Mark
I was "line" officer for about 10 years, currently I am investigator for our States Dept of Agriculture (really love the job). I am not sure about the Graduation as of yet I am not sure that we are going to have the money to attend. I think my Ex and Seans sister will be going to that and I think that my wife and I may go to the "A" school graduation in San Antonio (MA School). would love to do it both but you can only do what you can do. However things may change.

Mark said:
Shane,
My son will be training to be a CTT. After basic, he's scheduled to go to Pensacola for his A School. When I spoke to him the other day he indicated that he may get as much as 4 days off after graduation... we'll see- but that would be awesome. Right now I'm starting to research the hotels and try to nail one down for reservations. And I see that your son will be training to become an MA! And I also see in your profile that you're in law enforcement... (2) of the friends that I've made on this sight are police officers and my best friend is also a police officer. Interesting. Have you looked into any hotels yet? I'd be interested to know your thoughts.
Mark
Shane,
God willing, my wife and I and my brother and my oldest son Chris will be going to the PIR... Should you not be able to attend I will do my best to locate your son and shake his hand for a job well done.
Mark
Man, that would be really cool and I would be very greatfull. do you know how to use the chat function on this board?

Mark said:
Shane,
God willing, my wife and I and my brother and my oldest son Chris will be going to the PIR... Should you not be able to attend I will do my best to locate your son and shake his hand for a job well done.
Mark
Shane,
I think I got it a handle on the chat thing...
Mark
i will look for you on the chat contacts

Mark said:
Shane,
Mark
I just got another letter from Sean today, he was really happy because they had their first physical test, he said out of the 88 people only 27 passed he was one of them. Not sure what the qualifications are but he did 89 situps, 60 push ups and made his run in 11:20. He said they also had the swim test and he passed that also.

Shane Snyder said:

Mark said:
Shane,
Mark
Shane,
That's awesome, you have every right to be proud. Sean seems to have settled right in. We haven't heard from David since last week. We made reservations last night for a hotel so we're excited to have the process underway. I've had to search through quite a few forums and comments to get the skinny on the motel thing. Interesting that these businesses don't market themselves on this site and others. I don't own a video camera yet but we're hoping to get one before we go- and we'll try to get some video of Sean if we can... and then send it to you. I feel your pride!
Mark

Shane Snyder said:
I just got another letter from Sean today, he was really happy because they had their first physical test, he said out of the 88 people only 27 passed he was one of them. Not sure what the qualifications are but he did 89 situps, 60 push ups and made his run in 11:20. He said they also had the swim test and he passed that also.

Shane Snyder said:

Mark said:
Shane,
Mark
man that would be great, I saw you on the chat and tried to contact. it amazed me that so many did not pass the physical.

Mark said:
Shane,
That's awesome, you have every right to be proud. Sean seems to have settled right in. We haven't heard from David since last week. We made reservations last night for a hotel so we're excited to have the process underway. I've had to search through quite a few forums and comments to get the skinny on the motel thing. Interesting that these businesses don't market themselves on this site and others. I don't own a video camera yet but we're hoping to get one before we go- and we'll try to get some video of Sean if we can... and then send it to you. I feel your pride!
Mark

Shane Snyder said:

Shane Snyder said:

Mark said:
Shane,
Mark
Shane,
When David decided to join he started working out in earnest and had the run and other requirements down pretty good long before he left for Boot Camp. I'm guessing that a lot of these youngsters thought they were in better shape than they really were.
Mark

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments