Navy Dads

Seems this old Army dog has been embracing all things Navy since my Son's enlistment.

New Navy sweatshirt? check. (don't tell any of my buddies)

New Navy coffee mug? check. (see above)

Navy decal on the car? check. (it's says Navy Mom and I was told to do that)

Making a model of Navy ship? check. (although I'm having issues finding USS Marvin Shields. Will probably substitute another Knox Class frigate model and change the hull numbers)

So with this theme going on, I'm in the mood to watch some Navy movies. Here is my list of favorites in no particular order. Feel free to add any other movie I may want to watch.

Master and Commander (OK...I like this one the best)

Crimson Tide

Hunt for Red October

Men of Honor

The Final Countdown

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Mister Roberts (haven't watched this in a few years...gonna start with this one)

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll add my favorite war movie of all time... Midway. 

There is also Das Boot and U571. Both great movies. 

forgot about Das Boot. Don't think I've seen U571. Saw Midway years ago, but I don't remember enough of it so I'll add that to the list also.

A little trivia about Midway. It was one of the first movies to advertise early surround sound with big subwoofers. They called it sensoraround... or something like that. I still remember seeing it as a kid and the theater shaking when the bombs dropped. How far surround sound has come. 

You're going to be busy Jay. : )

Destination Tokyo
They Were Expendable
The Caine Mutiny
Run Silent, Run Deep
Operation Pacific
In Harm's Way
The Frogmen
Sink The Bismark!
The Enemy Below
Father Goose ( While not a classic Navy movie you get to look at Leslie Caron for two hours)
PT 109
The Fighting Seabees
Action in the North Atlantic
In Which We Serve

I remember that! Also saw Midway in a theater and now that you mention it I do remember them having all these posters about "sensurround". Of course...I also remember 8 tracks and my Dad was the first in the neighborhood to have a Quadraphonic Stereo system. I wish I had those old systems today for kicks. Hang out in the garage with Doobie Bros playing. It'd be one way to keep the daughter and wife out of my territory.

Jay's not the only one who is going to be busy. I love WW2 movies, so I'll be checking these out as well. 

Blake Owen said:

You're going to be busy Jay. : )

Destination Tokyo
They Were Expendable
The Caine Mutiny
Run Silent, Run Deep
Operation Pacific
In Harm's Way
The Frogmen
Sink The Bismark!
The Enemy Below
Father Goose ( While not a classic Navy movie you get to look at Leslie Caron for two hours)
PT 109
The Fighting Seabees
Action in the North Atlantic
In Which We Serve

I have experienced the reverse.  My kids keep me away by playing their modern hip-hop music. 

Jay Thompson said:

It'd be one way to keep the daughter and wife out of my territory.

if you like WW2 movies, check out Fury. I watched that the other night with the wife and it's not bad. I've never seen a combat movie from the perspective of a tank crew and it's eye opening (as much as a movie can depict anyway). It stars Brad Pit who commands a Sherman Tank crew and leads a group of 4 tanks on a mission. One of the best parts of the movie is when they engage a German Tiger Tank, which for the movie, they used the only operating Tiger in the world. Damn thing is bigger then I thought.

I watch Military Channel (I think it is now called American Hero's Channel now). Great show on tank battles. Listened to interviews from former Sherman operators who had to go head to head with Tigers. Most of the time the Sherman shells just bounced of the Tiger armor. And the much shorter main gun did not help the Sherman. 

Jay Thompson said:

if you like WW2 movies, check out Fury. I watched that the other night with the wife and it's not bad. I've never seen a combat movie from the perspective of a tank crew and it's eye opening (as much as a movie can depict anyway). It stars Brad Pit who commands a Sherman Tank crew and leads a group of 4 tanks on a mission. One of the best parts of the movie is when they engage a German Tiger Tank, which for the movie, they used the only operating Tiger in the world. Damn thing is bigger then I thought.

The story of the Battle of Samar featuring the sailors of Taffy 3 should be shared with any/all Navy families:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzNrn2Wl6lg

or the book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Stand_of_the_Tin_Can_Sailors

Is this the story about the Destroyer? that attacked the Japanese fleet? 

Sean Jayson said:

The story of the Battle of Samar featuring the sailors of Taffy 3 should be shared with any/all Navy families:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzNrn2Wl6lg

or the book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Stand_of_the_Tin_Can_Sailors

Yup... the Johnston and the Roberts were Taffy 3's little ankle biters.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments