Navy Dads

PIR 30 December, 2009 "Navy Boot Camp Graduation"

It appears that there will be lots of us at Great Lakes on this date, God willing. I've read lots and lots of great tips for the graduation from this site and Navy4Moms... Maybe we can keep each other advised as we move forward. My son, David is in Ship 09, Div 038. I understand that PT starts today and swim test is tomorrow. God bless them all.
Mark

Views: 626

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Got a phone call from Sean today, Said things were going good really really cold, but he is getting pretty excited that he is on the downhill slide to being done and then off to Texas for MA school. He did say that it looks like their liberty is only going to be until Jan 2nd instead of the 6th. Otherwise he sounded great.

Shane
Shane,
That's awesome news that you received a call from Sean. I love hearing what these youngsters have to say- I'm sure that they're all going through similar situations and emotions. Thank you, Shane for sharing. We're still waiting patiently for our call- maybe soon.
Hope you're recovering nicely.
Mark

Shane Snyder said:
Got a phone call from Sean today, Said things were going good really really cold, but he is getting pretty excited that he is on the downhill slide to being done and then off to Texas for MA school. He did say that it looks like their liberty is only going to be until Jan 2nd instead of the 6th. Otherwise he sounded great.

Shane
Yeah it was pretty exciting, actually pretty funny in a way. He calls my cell phone and yesterday while at work (my partner and I were driving) I got a call on my cell phone and did not reconize the number so I just hit ignor on my phone. then I decided I would check the voice mail that was left and it was Sean saying he was calling and would call back in a few mins, which of course he did. Anyway I think that was the 3rd of 4th call we have gotten from him. he said he could not believe that it was getting so close to being done there.

Mark said:
Shane,
That's awesome news that you received a call from Sean. I love hearing what these youngsters have to say- I'm sure that they're all going through similar situations and emotions. Thank you, Shane for sharing. We're still waiting patiently for our call- maybe soon.
Hope you're recovering nicely.
Mark

Shane Snyder said:

Shane
Hello All!,
We got to talk to our son David this afternoon for 30 minutes... it was great! He's recovering from a cold, evidently it's going around quite a bit through the divisions. He related that most everyone has settled into the routine pretty well. He said that he's gained eight pounds and that the food is pretty good. He's very proud of how many sit-ups and push-ups that he can do now- and is able to run the mile and a half in 10:30. Surprising- he said that the number of tickets for the graduation has been reduced to three per recruit because of the number of divisions that are graduating at the same time. Can't wait to get there for the graduation!
Mark
Hope everyone had a great day today.

Mark and Shane,
Glad to hear the two of you received calls recently and that they are doing well. Alot of them are sick is like living in an incubator with so many of them living in the same space. Throw in the fact that its getting colder so I'm sure they are doing their best to keep everything closed (windows & doors Closed). Encourage them to get to medical for medicine before any of the sickness sets in to much. Being tough or too proud can backfire on them. I'm sure the RDC's will make the ones that are really sick go to medical before it gets to bad.

Christopher,
Hope you receive word from your son soon.

I'll be honest to everyone. Any lack of writing letters from Son's is I guy thing, I very rarely wrote letters when I was on Active duty to my wife and family, I just found it difficult. I was never good at putting thoughts on paper. My wife is jeolous because I send more letters to my daughter now to help keep her spirits up. Years ago I was lucky enough to call my wife with prearranged dates and times maybe once a month because of the cost. This generation will have better opportunities to communicate with the computer and cell phone technology we have today, they just have to get thru bootcamp then it gets better.

Iget to live vicariously thru my wife's conversations with my daughter, I'm OK with that- I did get to talk to her on that one Saturday and it was the Seaman Recruit getting a confirmation from the Chief that it was OK not to get the weapons "Marksman" or"Expert" ribbon for their weapon. She did pass the course just not a high enough score for the ribbon. She is being real hard on herself. I ensured her not to worry about the extra stuff and to concentrate on the job at hand. She will get plenty of chances later for Weapons Ribbons if she gets stationed at a Command that requires the Qualification. I had to qualify more times than I can remember.

Hope everyone stays safe and well this Holiday season. Paul B.
Paul:

I think your right on the cold thing, Sean said that he had a cold for a couple of days now. He has been pretty good at writing does not write a lot but at least sends a letter. He was happy to get through weapons and thought he did pretty good. Although I had to laugh at this I spent a lot of time through the years teaching him how to shoot so I would have been surprised had he not done well. (I carried the berrata 9mm as a service weapon for years). Anyway thanks for your thoughts and updates

Shane

Paul said:
Hope everyone had a great day today.

Mark and Shane,
Glad to hear the two of you received calls recently and that they are doing well. Alot of them are sick is like living in an incubator with so many of them living in the same space. Throw in the fact that its getting colder so I'm sure they are doing their best to keep everything closed (windows & doors Closed). Encourage them to get to medical for medicine before any of the sickness sets in to much. Being tough or too proud can backfire on them. I'm sure the RDC's will make the ones that are really sick go to medical before it gets to bad.

Christopher,
Hope you receive word from your son soon.

I'll be honest to everyone. Any lack of writing letters from Son's is I guy thing, I very rarely wrote letters when I was on Active duty to my wife and family, I just found it difficult. I was never good at putting thoughts on paper. My wife is jeolous because I send more letters to my daughter now to help keep her spirits up. Years ago I was lucky enough to call my wife with prearranged dates and times maybe once a month because of the cost. This generation will have better opportunities to communicate with the computer and cell phone technology we have today, they just have to get thru bootcamp then it gets better.

Iget to live vicariously thru my wife's conversations with my daughter, I'm OK with that- I did get to talk to her on that one Saturday and it was the Seaman Recruit getting a confirmation from the Chief that it was OK not to get the weapons "Marksman" or"Expert" ribbon for their weapon. She did pass the course just not a high enough score for the ribbon. She is being real hard on herself. I ensured her not to worry about the extra stuff and to concentrate on the job at hand. She will get plenty of chances later for Weapons Ribbons if she gets stationed at a Command that requires the Qualification. I had to qualify more times than I can remember.

Hope everyone stays safe and well this Holiday season. Paul B.
Sounds great, I am glad you got to hear from him sure makes you feel good doesn't it?

Mark said:
Hello All!,
We got to talk to our son David this afternoon for 30 minutes... it was great! He's recovering from a cold, evidently it's going around quite a bit through the divisions. He related that most everyone has settled into the routine pretty well. He said that he's gained eight pounds and that the food is pretty good. He's very proud of how many sit-ups and push-ups that he can do now- and is able to run the mile and a half in 10:30. Surprising- he said that the number of tickets for the graduation has been reduced to three per recruit because of the number of divisions that are graduating at the same time. Can't wait to get there for the graduation!
Mark
Shane,
I always enjoyed the shooting part of weapons quals, Early in my career I was a M-60 MachineGun Gunner (5 Years) it was a blast except for carrying it when fully suited up and all the personnal gear. Other than that it was the M-16 quals each year and we were slow on replacing the piston (the old 45Cal). My daughter joked about how the shotgun it was bigger than her leg. She kept it tight in her shoulder as I told her so she wouldn't get slammed with the kickback. She stand at a tall 5'-0". Got thru it "with a little yelling from the Instructors :=)", thats all that matters. Have a great day.
When I was with Hanford Patrol (Nuclear weapons site in WA) we had got to shoot the M-60 a lot, it was a lot of fun. we also qualified on just about any type of weapon you could think of. went through thousands of rounds for the M-16, back in those days money was not a issue. When I went to regular law enforcement I spent lots and lots of time at the shooting range, about the only thing I really miss about regular LE.

Paul said:
Shane,
I always enjoyed the shooting part of weapons quals, Early in my career I was a M-60 MachineGun Gunner (5 Years) it was a blast except for carrying it when fully suited up and all the personnal gear. Other than that it was the M-16 quals each year and we were slow on replacing the piston (the old 45Cal). My daughter joked about how the shotgun it was bigger than her leg. She kept it tight in her shoulder as I told her so she wouldn't get slammed with the kickback. She stand at a tall 5'-0". Got thru it "with a little yelling from the Instructors :=)", thats all that matters. Have a great day.
Hi Mark,

Hi Shane,

I'm glad to hear news my son call home on 12/09 he spoke with my wife since he call early and I still on my office.
He is in good spirit. He study a lot.
I waiting for a call or letter.

God Bless all
Christopher:

Good deal, glad to hear that you have heard from your son and all is well.

Shane

Christopher said:
Hi Mark,

Hi Shane,

I'm glad to hear news my son call home on 12/09 he spoke with my wife since he call early and I still on my office.
He is in good spirit. He study a lot.
I waiting for a call or letter.

God Bless all
All,

I had a great weekend. Actually I was a little under the weather, but I've got to tell you that getting to speak with David on Friday was just what I needed. It's funny because as the time drew near for David to leave for boot camp I was worried about how my wife would handle it- David's our only son (although I have an older son from a previous marriage). As it turns out, I've been the one to have a hard time with this. I tried to analyze it a week or so ago and I think it's because for so many years I've had to be a parent twenty four hours a day- and now, in the space of one day in late October, that all changed. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with David's decision, I am and have always been a die hard patriot, but since he's left for the Navy, it's been harder on me than I thought it would.

I stayed home sick on Friday which is something that I rarely ever do. At about 10 am the mailman came by and we got a letter from David. Just one page but, I was so happy that I was home when it came. Then at 5:30 he called us. The strange thing is- that had I not been home, my wife and I would have not been able to talk to him together. Strange how things work out sometimes.

In his voice and in his enthusiasm I felt comfort in knowing that he's done the right thing. I can't express to you how good that made me feel. Here's to all of our young sons and daughters that have made such a valiant and courageous decision to not only take a turn at watching over our country but also to leave home and take a step toward becoming men and women and to chart their own course.

Mark

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments