Navy Dads

Well, we arrived on Thursday around 10 pm. I'd say it was only about 45min. from the airport. We are staying at the Navy Lodge, I would highly recommend it as it's right around the corner from the RTC gate entrance, like 2mi. if that. My daughter was in the 900 div. and had performed in her 6th. wk at that PIR, so she gave us a little heads up. Get up early Fri. morn. like 5am if you can handle it. that gives everyone time to get a shower and get ready to go. Be in line outside the gate entrance on Buckley St by 6:30, they won't start letting people thru the gate until closer to seven, but if you wait the line backs up way down the street. We were about the 20th car thru the gate, passing several troops with M16's poised, and into coned off lines that held about 6 cars each. At this point K9 dogs are going up and down the lines of cars stopping at each car to let the dogs check things out. Shortly after a security troop sticks his head in the drivers window checks all occupants closely and asks for everyones ID. No one ever asked for our base pass, which we forgot, so don't freakout if you do. Next each line of cars is released one at a time to proceed to the church parking lot to park. You will get familar with the church parking lot over the weekend as that is as far as you can go to pickup or drop off your Sailor over the weekend. After parking we proceeded to a building attached to the NEX where each group is called up and again ID's are checked, no one ever asked how many people were in a group and after we we're in the PIR hall we noticed that some had more than four, although it's up to you if you decide to try to take more in. Personally unless you had a huge group I don't think they really care. My point in getting there early is, whether it's by taxi or POV is, the bleachers fill in fast and if you want to pick a good end seat where it's easier to take pics or videos, you'll want to be in there by 7am or so. They are showing videos on the big screen and t-shirts and hats are for sale, so the time goes by rather quickly up to 9am when it starts. If your Sailor is in the 900 div as our daughter was, they come marching in first at 7am. to get ready for the event. It was 7 degrees outside Friday morning so they came in with black face masks on and we weren't able to see any faces, they are immediately usherd into a backroom and not seen until the start of PIR. Once PIR gets started it goes quickly, a few regognitions, a few speeches by top brass and then, HEAR THIS, HEAR THIS, LIBERERY CALL...!!!!!!!!!! And it's mass confusion. Sailor's tying to find family and family trying to spot Sailors. We got a couple of pics with our daughter in the hall then headed to the Navy Lodge. It was nice for her to beable to relax without anyone looking over her shoulder. My wife, and I, as USAF Vietnam Vets oursleves, were very proud of her. To beable to make it thru bootcamp and be ready for what is ahead makes us very proud. Remember, not everyone makes it, so, be proud..........'Rick

Views: 67

Reply to This

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments