Navy Dads

My son Noah is with Ship 2, Division 904? Anyone out there with an SR in this same ship/division?  Are you heading to Great Lakes to attend 12/5 PIR?  Hoping to meet other parents at Sarge's Meet-n-Greet.

Views: 1032

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You have some great ideas Mike! You're right, I think we as parents maybe struggle more with the separation anxiety more than the kids do. I know they are homesick, but it is nice to know that they are developing a bond with their Navy brothers and sisters now. My wife received a phone call a little while ago from Doug, so I hope you may have gotten one from Noah also. Doug is doing well, got a promotion to E-2, and passed his 'hell week' tests so he was excited. Sounds like he got a 'sharpshooter' rating for shooting and was one point away from 'expert'. Hope you hear from Noah & he is doing well. Have a good night, and we'll chat more soon.

Wow...awesome Jay...that's great news with Doug and glad you got to hear from him.  I'll have to tell him "congrats" on his sharpshooter rating...nicely done...and one point away from expert!  Glad he's doing good and well done on his E-2 promo...he deserves to be excited about that!  I'll cross my fingers to hear from Noah soon.  I've taken another dad's suggestion and have my list of questions folded up in my wallet and I keep adding things to it too...that way, in all my excitement I won't forget what to ask.  Cheers Jay...good stuff going on for the boys...definitely awesome as they head to PIR.  Chat more again...

Hi there Jay...have you heard from Doug in this week?  Just curious as I haven't heard from Noah (not even after you mentioned hearing from Doug last Friday).  Noah did write to his sister and apparently he mentioned having possibly injured something (but didn't mention what it was).  I read in another discussion that an SR who got injured missed making a call home when the rest of the division made their calls home. Just curious if you've heard from Doug since last Friday.  Hope all is well.  Hoping to hear from Noah this week.  I know he's okay...he's written to some close cousins of his in Vegas so that was encouraging.

Jay Pierce said:

You have some great ideas Mike! You're right, I think we as parents maybe struggle more with the separation anxiety more than the kids do. I know they are homesick, but it is nice to know that they are developing a bond with their Navy brothers and sisters now. My wife received a phone call a little while ago from Doug, so I hope you may have gotten one from Noah also. Doug is doing well, got a promotion to E-2, and passed his 'hell week' tests so he was excited. Sounds like he got a 'sharpshooter' rating for shooting and was one point away from 'expert'. Hope you hear from Noah & he is doing well. Have a good night, and we'll chat more soon.
Hi Mike,
I hope that Noah is doing OK. I think that since you haven't heard anything that maybe 'no news is good news'? If something had happened, hopefully it wasn't anything too serious and he is working through it. If it had been bad, you probably would have heard about it, so fortunately no news might be a good thing? We heard that today one of Doug's friends received a letter, which was written last Sunday. I am just guessing that they probably don't get a lot of free time for things like letter writing, and since you said above that he wrote to his sister & cousins, maybe he ran out of time to get a letter off to you. Doug did mention in his friend's letter that they were going in the gas chamber the next day, which would have been Monday this week. I bet they are all glad that is over! Well, two more weeks until PIR! I believe that Division 904 might be performing at tomorrow's PIR, so if you get a chance to watch the ceremony on-line maybe you will see Noah. This weather is crazy, & I am thankful we don't have to go to NY. I'm praying for clear skies and roads in a couple weeks. I'll even take this cold weather as long as snow & ice doesn't go along with it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jay...I probably should have held off on my writing last night as I got two letters from Noah this evening.  One letter from earlier went back to him as he failed to put a stamp on it...so I just received two letters.  I was concerned that maybe he had experienced a slight injury so call it a father's intuition...I was right. The doc has noted that Noah has ITB Band Syndrome which I believe in Noah's case is inflammation of the ligament that runs down the outside of his left thigh (from his hip to his shin). He actually looks forward to PT so he says he is most bummed about not being able to join PT.  He's done well in all but ran into a snag on one the "fold and stow"...he said it felt like "not having a good game".  He says the days are going by faster than in the first 4 weeks.  I'm glad to have heard from him and to confirm his injury is not a serious one. Thanks again for your reply above...much appreciated.  Guess I'm just a worried-wart dad...As for NY, I was supposed to travel to NY for work in December but I've slid travel plans to next year 1st quarter.  I almost got snowed in last year in NY during work travel so I won't push my luck this year.  We'll be in touch Jay...thanks again.  I'm a bit better now!

Jay Pierce said:

Hi Mike,
I hope that Noah is doing OK. I think that since you haven't heard anything that maybe 'no news is good news'? If something had happened, hopefully it wasn't anything too serious and he is working through it. If it had been bad, you probably would have heard about it, so fortunately no news might be a good thing? We heard that today one of Doug's friends received a letter, which was written last Sunday. I am just guessing that they probably don't get a lot of free time for things like letter writing, and since you said above that he wrote to his sister & cousins, maybe he ran out of time to get a letter off to you. Doug did mention in his friend's letter that they were going in the gas chamber the next day, which would have been Monday this week. I bet they are all glad that is over! Well, two more weeks until PIR! I believe that Division 904 might be performing at tomorrow's PIR, so if you get a chance to watch the ceremony on-line maybe you will see Noah. This weather is crazy, & I am thankful we don't have to go to NY. I'm praying for clear skies and roads in a couple weeks. I'll even take this cold weather as long as snow & ice doesn't go along with it.

I BELIEVE I SAW MY SON PERFORMING AT TODAY'S PIR!  It was interesting as they announced Division 902 performing (and Noah being in Division 904)...I hung in there just to see if it was a possibility and low and behold (unless I was seeing things...or seeing what I wanted to see), there was my son singing.  Needless to say it made my day!  I'm writing to him now to confirm that he performed today.  I've read that the performers sometimes perform one or two PIRs prior to their own but I didn't know they join in on other Divisions...so glad I checked and watched the graduation.  It seemed to be a smaller group graduating than last weeks...and even a little differently laid out...so that was nice to see too. BUT WHAT A GREAT FRIDAY TO HAVE SEEN MY SON TODAY...

Hi Jay,

Just an fyi...I posted above that I got onto the 11/21 PIR and I actually saw Noah performing.  Needless to say that made my day to see him live.  Wish I could transport through the screen...ha!  Interesting that he should perform with Division 902 (as was announced).  They must mix the SRs up to perform so in two weeks, they are primed at their own graduation.  Cheers for today...have a great weekend!

Mike Sagawinit said:

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jay...I probably should have held off on my writing last night as I got two letters from Noah this evening.  One letter from earlier went back to him as he failed to put a stamp on it...so I just received two letters.  I was concerned that maybe he had experienced a slight injury so call it a father's intuition...I was right. The doc has noted that Noah has ITB Band Syndrome which I believe in Noah's case is inflammation of the ligament that runs down the outside of his left thigh (from his hip to his shin). He actually looks forward to PT so he says he is most bummed about not being able to join PT.  He's done well in all but ran into a snag on one the "fold and stow"...he said it felt like "not having a good game".  He says the days are going by faster than in the first 4 weeks.  I'm glad to have heard from him and to confirm his injury is not a serious one. Thanks again for your reply above...much appreciated.  Guess I'm just a worried-wart dad...As for NY, I was supposed to travel to NY for work in December but I've slid travel plans to next year 1st quarter.  I almost got snowed in last year in NY during work travel so I won't push my luck this year.  We'll be in touch Jay...thanks again.  I'm a bit better now!

Jay Pierce said:

Hi Mike,

Up to three 900 divisions perform their duties at each PIR, the 900 division(s) from that TG and if needed one to three 900 divisions from the next one or two TG's. Each 900 Division performs in their own PIR and usually in the PIR for one or two TG's ahead of their own if there is not a 900 division of the same type to perform in the TG/TG's.

Mike Sagawinit said:

Hi Jay,

Just an fyi...I posted above that I got onto the 11/21 PIR and I actually saw Noah performing.  Needless to say that made my day to see him live.  Wish I could transport through the screen...ha!  Interesting that he should perform with Division 902 (as was announced).  They must mix the SRs up to perform so in two weeks, they are primed at their own graduation.  Cheers for today...have a great weekend!

Mike Sagawinit said:

Jay Pierce said:

Hi Mike,

Thanks Paul.  I know my son told me that was a possibility but I didn't know they integrate them with other 900 Divisions.  I am thankful for the live streaming video...it was great to see my son but also to view the ceremonies and couldn't be prouder of all of these young men and women Sailors!

NavyDads Admin (Paul) said:

Up to three 900 divisions perform their duties at each PIR, the 900 division(s) from that TG and if needed one to three 900 divisions from the next one or two TG's. Each 900 Division performs in their own PIR and usually in the PIR for one or two TG's ahead of their own if there is not a 900 division of the same type to perform in the TG/TG's.

Mike Sagawinit said:

Hi Jay,

Mike Sagawinit said:

Jay Pierce said:

Hi Mike,
Hey Mike, it is very nice that you were able to see your son performing at Friday's PIR ceremony, I'm happy for you! The beauty of technology, and thanks to the Navy for streaming the ceremony on-line. Congratulations to all of the newest U.S. Navy sailors!

Thank Jay.  Appreciate it and yes, technology at its finest.  I've sent the link to family and friends so they could get a glimpse of Noah.  The boys are on the home stretch...Battle Stations 21!  My hope is the division can pull it together as a whole. Sounds like they had a hurdle to get over as a team so keeping my fingers crossed for all of these young men and women who have put it all out there these past several weeks.

Jay Pierce said:

Hey Mike, it is very nice that you were able to see your son performing at Friday's PIR ceremony, I'm happy for you! The beauty of technology, and thanks to the Navy for streaming the ceremony on-line. Congratulations to all of the newest U.S. Navy sailors!

Hey there Jay...8 days left eh?  Can you believe it?  Have you heard from Doug lately?  With this being Battle Stations 21, not sure how much time they would've had this week to write. But sure excited for the next few days.  I got online again to watch today's PIR and was fortunate to see Noah again. Truly good stuff and thankful for the live streaming.  I hope all is well with the boys (and the Division of course).  Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Jay.  Look forward to meeting you and Doug in a few days.

Mike Sagawinit said:

Thank Jay.  Appreciate it and yes, technology at its finest.  I've sent the link to family and friends so they could get a glimpse of Noah.  The boys are on the home stretch...Battle Stations 21!  My hope is the division can pull it together as a whole. Sounds like they had a hurdle to get over as a team so keeping my fingers crossed for all of these young men and women who have put it all out there these past several weeks.

Jay Pierce said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments