Navy Dads

Does anyone have a SR in Ship 4 Div 801? Would love to hear from other dads during these next eight weeks!

Views: 318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

800s so he's spec ops. My son went in this time last year during the government shutdown. His PIR was the Wednesday before thanksgiving. Being S.O. they will all clash for 2 weeks trying to be the AlphaDog after that they will begin being a tight group watching out for one another.

Yes, I just joined.

My son is also in that group.

Are you going to Grad coming up?

My "Son" has been keeping a day journal on what they have been doing and his thoughts on Navy life, challenges and funny insights.

If anybody is really wanting some behind the scenes on what is really going on at the 801, just let me know. 

OPSEC and PERSEC always observed.

Tom 

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I apologize for not responding sooner. Yes, I'll be going to Grad and am counting the days. I would very much like to hear some behind-the-scenes stories on this amazing group of young men. And, like you, OPSEC and PERSEC always observed.

God bless,

Todd

Here is a little bit of update from our son in Div 800.

He is keeping a journal and sends us copies every few weeks. Really interesting if you have never been in the military side of things. He reads a lot (Not in Basic Now) and his writing reads like a Tom Clancy novel.

Couple of Insights from a 22 year old College Grad.

1. The Div 801 and 802 are like the Mercedes teams while the other groups are like a Pinto. What he means by that is 801/802 comes off at better drills and Looks Good in public. Makes them feel PROUD when other teams look and say....who are those guys? Answer 800 Div....all good guys.....just steer clear of them! LOL!  They get up early for PT while the other teams get to sleep in until 0600! He said behind closed doors they are just as dysfunction and clumsy as the other teams! They just somehow make it work in public. I think they are going on the “Fake it until you make it” , motto!

2. He says WOW! If this is the 800 Group what the heck does the Non-800 look like! LOL.

3. Send News! Says they are really cut off from the world news events
4. Some guys are really in trouble because they can’t follow directions on how to fold clothes, make your bed, iron clothes. Like he says…..do you think they will put a weapon in your hands if you can’t get this right? He says they are future paint scrapers on ships.

5. Now this one was funny! Basic is: Sort of like-Prison, Worst Summer Camp in your life, Adult Daycare.

6. Apparently next week is considered our “hell week” of boot camp. It’s just a week full of nothing but inspections and tests. We have our Dynamic Materials Inspection (DMI), which is how to fold our clothes. Weapons Turnover Instruction (WTI), Personnel Inspection (PI), Compartment Inspection (Zone), Test 2, and live fire range. And they come one after another, which is why they consider it hell week. Apparently some divisions in the past have been allowed to go to the Nex and stuff so they can get Red Bulls and coffee to stay up.

Oh yea....dang coffee is DECAF! So much for getting buzzed on coffee!

Let me know if you want more updates or just keep them to myself!

Hi Todd - my son is now in A school for HT-Hull Technician.  I am writing to thank you for sharing a portion of your son's journal entries.  You have much to be proud of - special ops unit and one who enjoys memorializing his experience in a journal!  Thank you for sharing.

My son is Ship 4, Division 803.  He says he's afraid he is going to end up being a paint scraper. Folding clothes is biggest challenge!

Hull Tech! Wow! I have a friend that designs Sub hulls and said those guys are SOOO important to keep bad things from happening on ships!

Here is quote from our son:

Clothes:

5-6 hours of folding and refolding clothes. Fingers almost bleeding from all the dang buttons. I am a MONSTER at folding now! I am a machine! Mom, I’ll fold those!

So.....I think your son is now an expert!

He "phased up" for his first time recently and so far so good - i.e. being able to wear civilian clothes while off base......  He is studying; we are optimistic this will be a good career path for him during his Navy career.   To carry the folding clothes thread further......I am looking forward to when our son returns home to his room, as he left it, and observe what he does about it!!  LOL

Another update. He  updates everyday! 

SEAL told him that SO involves lots of writing. Get used to it.

I have to keep this generic sort of to not identify which Div of the 800. I always plan on what I post will be read by one of the RDC or get back to them….don’t want to tick them off to bad!

Here is his take on the RDC’s in charge:

Chief:

Super (Blanking) cool dude. He could be any sort of coach imaginable in a past life. All the recruits want to do nothing but to make him happy. He can teach anything to anyone.

Petty Officer:

He is the indomitable hard ass with a vocabulary that would get our mouths washed out with soap for saying!

He is really a very necessary component of our leadership structure to reach the ones that are kinda dense to start with.

Petty Officer:

Super **** SMART guy. Great teacher and funny as hell. He is really a good guy!. I did get a beat down when he cracked a joke and I followed it up with my on 2 cents worth. Can you say Monkey$$$kers? Dang…..note to self, keep pie hole shut next time. See this is all really a learning process. Cause and effect!

These Officers are all top of class, huge asset to us and the Navy.

Random funny stuff:

One guy passed out from standing at attention with his knees locked. Sounded like somebody dropped a log on the floor with his face. ( He is OK) We all stood at attention with him on the floor. We all got yelled at why did we not help him! We said “you told us to stand at attention and DON’T MOVE”! He said CORRECT! Glad to know you guys can understand English! Note to self…..locking knees causes you to develop big bump on head.

Some 18 and 19 year old have no clue what they have gotten themselves into, they think this a game! No, this is the Military. Serious Stuff. 

Good one!

When he opens the door and sees it......if he learned anything he will suck it up, clean it up...not let that happen again. Sigh, don't we wish it was only that easy! My son is ( WAS) the same way. Can't wait to see what he does. Only time will tell. Seems that all the SO I know are dang near anal about that stuff now! LOL. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments