Navy Dads

My ABH is currently serving on the USS Anchorage (LPD 23) homeported in San Diego, CA. How about yours?

Views: 422

Replies to This Discussion

Ok folks, My daughter just graduated from boot camp, she is currently at Pensacola awaiting for ABH A school.

She is eager to start...

 

Go Navy!!

That's awesome to hear Ron and welcome to the group! Yeah my son went through the same experience in P-Cola A-School they didn't start right away...

RONALD A VERGARA said:

Ok folks, My daughter just graduated from boot camp, she is currently at Pensacola awaiting for ABH A school.

She is eager to start...

 

Go Navy!!

EP Eval! I'm crossing my fingers...

My son's PIR was 8Feb2013. He arrived at NATTC in Pensacola on 9Feb2013 (6 weeks ago) for ABH A-school. He still has not gotten a class up date. He was told by some at NATTC "…maybe sometime in April". Even that soon is more than 2 months after arriving. He is bored and ready to do something/anything. It is no surprise when we hear of kids getting in trouble. With hundreds of 18-19 year olds with no training yet (beyond basic), no real responsibilities, and bored out of their minds for months at a time and not even a ballpark date to look forward to. How long did your sailor/airman have to wait after arriving at NATTC before being given a date to class up?

Jim,

First of all Welcome to the Group! I do recall that with my son there was also a delay. To my best recollection it was in the tune of a couple of weeks not months. Of course this was back in Nov. 2011. Hang in there, I'm sure he's not alone just keep the encouragements coming...

Take Care,

Gary


Jim said:

My son's PIR was 8Feb2013. He arrived at NATTC in Pensacola on 9Feb2013 (6 weeks ago) for ABH A-school. He still has not gotten a class up date. He was told by some at NATTC "…maybe sometime in April". Even that soon is more than 2 months after arriving. He is bored and ready to do something/anything. It is no surprise when we hear of kids getting in trouble. With hundreds of 18-19 year olds with no training yet (beyond basic), no real responsibilities, and bored out of their minds for months at a time and not even a ballpark date to look forward to. How long did your sailor/airman have to wait after arriving at NATTC before being given a date to class up?
UPDATE:
My son's class ended up starting on 1 April (in his 8th week waiting at NATTC). The roster was posted at approx 1730 hrs on Sunday, 31 March to tell him to report the following morning.

He graduates his ABH A-school on 3May2013 and will then report to the USS George Washington in Japan.


Jim said:
My son's PIR was 8Feb2013. He arrived at NATTC in Pensacola on 9Feb2013 (6 weeks ago) for ABH A-school. He still has not gotten a class up date. He was told by some at NATTC "…maybe sometime in April". Even that soon is more than 2 months after arriving. He is bored and ready to do something/anything. It is no surprise when we hear of kids getting in trouble. With hundreds of 18-19 year olds with no training yet (beyond basic), no real responsibilities, and bored out of their minds for months at a time and not even a ballpark date to look forward to. How long did your sailor/airman have to wait after arriving at NATTC before being given a date to class up?

Thanks for the update Jim! Glad to hear your son's A school graduation is in a few weeks. My son also had Japan on his wish list and landed San Diego instead. Japan is still on his Navy careers bucket list...

Jim said:

UPDATE:
My son's class ended up starting on 1 April (in his 8th week waiting at NATTC). The roster was posted at approx 1730 hrs on Sunday, 31 March to tell him to report the following morning.

He graduates his ABH A-school on 3May2013 and will then report to the USS George Washington in Japan.


Jim said:
My son's PIR was 8Feb2013. He arrived at NATTC in Pensacola on 9Feb2013 (6 weeks ago) for ABH A-school. He still has not gotten a class up date. He was told by some at NATTC "…maybe sometime in April". Even that soon is more than 2 months after arriving. He is bored and ready to do something/anything. It is no surprise when we hear of kids getting in trouble. With hundreds of 18-19 year olds with no training yet (beyond basic), no real responsibilities, and bored out of their minds for months at a time and not even a ballpark date to look forward to. How long did your sailor/airman have to wait after arriving at NATTC before being given a date to class up?

My son serves on the IKE.  He is an ABH2 on the hangar bay and is a deck PO.

My son is an ABH3 on the Anchorage. He's looking forward to LSE school hopefully next month...

I had written posts earlier in the year about my ABH son. After waiting for 8-weeks in Pensacola to just class up, he finished in May. He left for Yokosuka, Japan the first week of June to serve on the USS George Washington. He has since finished 'Indoc' there a day or two after the ship left. He then flew to Guam to spend the night and then flew to the ship just as it arrived in Australia to participate in 'Exercise Talisman Saber' with Australian Defense Force. He got 4-days of liberty while in Brisbane. He is now somewhere on the flight deck heading back to Japan. He loved Australia and claims to be loving his job. He asked the rhetorical question last week, "Who else from our small town has gotten paid to explore Japan, Guam, and Australia this summer and has a cool job to boot?"

Pretty awesome Jim wow!

Hello all,

I just joined the site. Looks pretty cool and informative. My AB joined un-designated this past June. Went to Pensecola and waited about three weeks for a class. Now he is in San Diego training up and waiting for the new LHA6 USS America to be delivered in March. He is going to be in fuels. He says he is enjoying it and anxious to get underway. Youth, always in a hurry to be somewhere,  so was I. Like all of you, we miss our sailor and can't wait to go to the commissioning in San Fran next September.  Also, with his mom and I both prior Army, my AB was sure to constantly update me when Navy beat Army. Maybe 13 is a lucky number.

RSS

© 2019   Created by E.G. - ND's Creator/Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service