Navy Dads

We got the form letter today. Now we can count down the days.

Views: 380

Replies to This Discussion

We all do. I had a count down timer on my computer. My daughter checked off the days on the calendar. It's very hard for all of us, but it was worth it. Really, really worth it. Hang in there.

Glad to hear it…it will be here before you know it...

When did your sailor been bootcamp?  Our son leaves tomorrow.  Just trying to get a better sense of timing.  Thank you.

sorry…spelling like a champ here…I mean your Sailor Recruit, and when did they arrive at bootcamp?

Thanks

He got there 2/11 and will graduate 4/11

My son started 2/18 and goes to PIR 4/11.  He is on Ship 11, div 142.  Apparently he is in a Push division--don't know the logistics of that, but that's what I am told.  On 4/10 Sarge, a Navy supporter is having a Meet and Greet in Waukegan, IL at the Sundown Saloon starting at 5pm.  Think you might go?

My son arrived at RTC on Tuesday.  We got the phone call that night, but nothing else so far.  My wife is waiting for the box of stuff.  I don't know if that form letter comes with that or not.  Either way, we're just patiently waiting for some news.  Thank you to all you guys for the replies, advice, and being good fathers to have raised such great sons and daughters!!!

Marco, for us, the box arrived about 10 days after he arrived at boot and the letter came in the mail a few days after that. The waiting is tough for what little information you receive. The Letter will show his mailing address and PIR date so we wrote letters and as soon as the letter arrived we turned it around and mailed them out. We also immediately set up our travel for PIR.

We did receive a few calls during bootcamp. The first was 90 seconds, very short and my son sounded tired and drained up just to hear his voice was a blessing. I am told this is quite normal. But if you don't already, answer every call even if you don't recognize the incoming number. You never know.

Good luck.

Thanks for that reply.  I know the waiting is the hardest part, but it is reassuring that so many other families have gone - are going - or will go through the same thing.  We're not alone in our feelings and hopes.  I know the sacrifice for us is a lot,  but so worth the reward.  I had the pleasure of meeting 2 young men (late 20's and early 30's) over the weekend that both went through boot camp several years back…one is still active and a CPO Third Class, the other retired after 2 re-enlistments.  The first is now living in the greater Washington area doing his "dream job" with the Department of the Navy in DC, and the other became a doctor (through his education during and after the Navy).  Both were in Sub-school, and (I have to say) a couple of the finest young men I have ever met...Firm handshake, clear and detailed conversations, and both credit the Navy for their successes through life.

Thanks for your insight on this tough time, and I hope the time to graduation goes quickly for you too...    

Marco, tell your wife to be patient and if she is a praying person, pray for God to watch over him and for your family during this time apart. My son completed boot camp a few weeks back and is in A-school in San Antonio for Medical Corpsman. The 8 to 9 weeks of boot taught all of us valuable lessons. We had the added experience of not having him home or even talking to him on Christmas and New Years. To say it was painful is an understatement. But we learned through this and through the support on this site that boot camp is to prepare us as well. There will be times without him, times when he is deployed and we can't talk, times when he can't share things with us and has to be vague. But just seeing his transformation after boot camp, hearing his stories of endurance and perseverance made us extremely proud of him as I know you are and will be of your son as well.

This is a huge step for these kids not matter their background. Like you I've met some amazing young men and women recently. Some completed college, some a little college, others enlisted out of high school as a career choice and yet others had a troubled youth. All, and it mean all, were transformed in boot camp to amazing, respectful sailors.

Good luck to you and your family. Feel free to ask any questions, we are just a few steps ahead of you in this journey.

Thank you Joseph.  That means a lot.  We were at mass this morning and we felt better after.  I know this will be a few more hard weeks, but like you said, it will pass on to something great...

How did you travel to Great Lakes for the graduation?  My wife and I are looking in to a couple of options including driving up there.  We are in northern MD and it does not seem too bad considering other options.

Thanks

My wife and I are planning on attending Sarge's Meet and Greet.

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments