Navy Dads

My son is in SHIP 2 DIV 912, he arrived at RTC on 12/8/2010, with a PIR date of February 11 2011.

Thought I would start this and see if anyone else has a recruit in that division or with the same PIR date.  We live about 2 hours from the base so at the very least I could keep up updated on the weather.

Views: 500

Replies to This Discussion

hi Tim, my sons   PIR date  also is  feb  11      tom

I have been told that there will be 14 divisions graduating on the 11th.  With a drop rate of 14% that would be around 1050 graduating, possibly 4200 guests.  Wow, this small town boy thinks that's incredible.

My grandson is also in Ship 2 Div 912. Can you tell me anything about the 912 division.

Thanks, Fred

Only that SHIP 2 is a new or newer building and that the "900" divisions are performance divisions.  As I understand it that means they could be in a band, choir, flag bearer, rifle squad or have some other assigned duty.  I'm not sure if everyone in the division has a job or just some.  I'm not sure how they get assigned to a "900" division, are they selected or is just luck of the draw but I've been told that this means he'll be in good company.

Fred Thurman said:

My grandson is also in Ship 2 Div 912. Can you tell me anything about the 912 division.

Thanks, Fred

My son is in division 071 and he arrived on 12/13/2010

From the Navy page that lists the 14 divisions graduating on 2/11/2011:

TG 12 — 14 Divisions (063–074, 804 & 912) Graduate Friday, Feb. 11, 2011

Hey Tim. Our son also started BC on 12\8 and has PIR on 2\11. He is on Ship 09 Div 069. Since you're from that area can you tell me if there is any advantage to flying into Milwaukee opposed to Chicago?

Wes,

Never having drove from ether airport to Great Lakes I have no personal experience that i could share.  I have seen quite a few comments where people would choose Mitchell over O'Hare on this site. 

Google show it as a half hour drive from O'Hare and one hour drive from Mitchell.   It looks like an easy drive from Mitchell, right down I94.

Having flown out of both, I would clearly choose Mitchell, it's a nice "easy" airport but you have to remember I'm a small town boy and given the choice would stay away from both Milwaukee and Chicago.

Thanks. I would prefer the smaller airport but can't find the direct flights we can get through ohare. Would rather have more time with our son and less time in the air. Have you had a call or letter from your son? We haven't since the "I got here" call and the form letter with his address.

Timothy Conway said:

Wes,

Never having drove from ether airport to Great Lakes I have no personal experience that i could share.  I have seen quite a few comments where people would choose Mitchell over O'Hare on this site. 

Google show it as a half hour drive from O'Hare and one hour drive from Mitchell.   It looks like an easy drive from Mitchell, right down I94.

Having flown out of both, I would clearly choose Mitchell, it's a nice "easy" airport but you have to remember I'm a small town boy and given the choice would stay away from both Milwaukee and Chicago.

We haven't heard anything either Wes.  It's a little hard waiting knowing that other have gotten letters and phone calls but "no news is good news".  The boy was never much on writing anyway, my wife tried to make it easier on him and sent questioners.  He would just have to check the boxes and sick them in an envelope.

Neither have we heard and we enclose self addressed postcards with our letters. Fred

Timothy Conway said:

We haven't heard anything either Wes.  It's a little hard waiting knowing that other have gotten letters and phone calls but "no news is good news".  The boy was never much on writing anyway, my wife tried to make it easier on him and sent questioners.  He would just have to check the boxes and sick them in an envelope.

At least I can tell my wife we're not alone, that'll help.

Yes my son PIR is 2/11/2011 ship 9 Div 069

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments