Navy Dads

I am a father of one member of this class. Day one yesterday. Was really good to hear his voice last night, especially since it was my birth day. Looking forward to hearing from him this evening if his time allows.

Any other fathers in the same boat I am in?

Good luck to all!!

291Dad

Views: 6516

Replies to This Discussion

The guys at boot camp headed to pre-BUDs in a couple weeks don't know when they'll get to Coranado. Scuttle is that most won't get there until early 2012 - That first class after the break could be large?

Any idea on when the first class of 2012 would start up? 

My son doesn't leave for bootcamp until the end of March, trying to guess on which class he will form up with.   My bet's on 295 or 296.

Russell said:

The guys at boot camp headed to pre-BUDs in a couple weeks don't know when they'll get to Coranado. Scuttle is that most won't get there until early 2012 - That first class after the break could be large?

BTW...HooYah Class 2 9 1

and a special HooYah to 291 parents, you raised some amazing young men!!

The last I heard the next Class will be in Feb. 2012. The Class size should be about the same size as he ones before it. There are some new barracks but they are about the same size as the others. There are only so many rooms and instructors that I do not think the Class sizes will be any larger. They have not inceased the size of the Grinder and pool are and therefore do not have much room to add guys. I will check with those in Coronado the see if they have heard anything on upping the Class size.

From what I've seen & heard from forums & media, I would agree that they can't do much to change the class size. Any idea if they will try to use pre-BUDs at GL to limit the # of recruits in the pipeline?

If they do not reduce the Class during Pre-BUDS they will send the guys with the top scores on their final test to Coronado and roll the others back to the next Class or drop them. Last I heard it cost about 1 million to train a guy to graduate SQT. With the new budget the rules have changes to save money. Now it is one and done. If you get rolled for performance or injury (I think after getting to Coronado) they will only roll you once. On the next injury or performance problem you are done and go to the Fleet. Back when my GS was in training I know of guys they were rolled up to 4 times. That is to expensive to do now. They need to be in the best shape they can. Now if they get dropped the choice is not very good as to what they will do in the Fleet. The last guy I remember reading about had his choice of Cook, Undesig Air or Undesig Sea.

All very true Grandpa. Its expensive to train the guys, and you are correct they will get a different job elsewhere in the fleet. If the dropped guy is lucky there is a rare job available like EOD, rescue swimmer, etc... But most are undesig.  Honestly, most of these guys go into their SEAL contracts believing they will make it. Statistically those #'s havent changed & its still only about 25%. Too many college educated, talented, athletic young men now out in the fleet.

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments