Navy Dads

My son just got to Ft Sam Houston, Tx and will be starting Corpsman School next week. They are attending classes and doing busy work awaiting the class to start. Since this is a fairly new program there, any comments or suggestions I should pass on ? Currently, he is in the reserves and assigned to a Marine TOW reserve unit in SE Fla. They haven't indicated if he will go to FMF right out of school or not. He thinks that FMF East is shutting down ,rumor, and everyone will go to Pendelton.

Views: 507

Replies to This Discussion

Jay, my son just graduated from HM school and is headed to Camp Lejeune for FMTB.  His class will start after the first of the year, meanwhile he will be attached to MSOSG and is scheduled to go back after completion of FMTB.  As for HM school he just needs to stick to it. My son had a lot of fun and graduated on the Dean's list.  Apparently youtube has a lot of teaching value for "casualty assessments".

Which class is your son in? Ours is in 235b. His PIR was 9/1. He started class about 2 wks later

Jay My son is Going to A school for Corpsman after he goes thrue PIR on 1/06/2012 . How is your Sailor doing ? Does he like the schooling  and being a Corpsman? Did he get a job assignment yet? any info for us would be helpful.

Thanks, Ross

Ross, Alex left the same day as PIR in the evening. He graduated Nov 30 and went straight to Camp Lejuene where about 30 from his class were assigned temp. duty with clinics and hospital duty until the FMTB class starts in Jan. Most of them are reserve. I understand active duty works different in that some of them go first to their duty station and to FMTB later when their class starts. All of this is if they are going "Green Side" with the Marines. He really liked the school. All new. Some logistical problems, as would be expected, in a new set up.Sporatic Hot Water, long mail room lines.  Two man rooms, Refrig, Micro, A/C Heat, own Bathroom. Great Chow. A Lot of pretty Air Force girls around. San Antonio is nice. Big Malls, places to go. They were not allowed to go away from Barricks for 2 weeks. No off base for total of three weeks.Big PX and Commisary on base.  After that week ends free. We took his cell phone to PIR. All instructors are Navy and they protect them from the other branches. His instructors were very experienced Corpsman. One was Spec. Ops. Very little B.S.       There to learn medicine. My wife is a nurse and was impressed with the curriculum.  He gets to do a lot at the clinic he is at. Loves it. He feels the school prepared them well. Tell him to study hard and not to get into trouble off base or on. They will kick them out of the school and some out of the Navy.  Best of luck to him.  Jay

RMB said:

Jay My son is Going to A school for Corpsman after he goes thrue PIR on 1/06/2012 . How is your Sailor doing ? Does he like the schooling  and being a Corpsman? Did he get a job assignment yet? any info for us would be helpful.

Thanks, Ross

Jay Shartzer said:

Ross, Alex left the same day as PIR in the evening. He graduated Nov 30 and went straight to Camp Lejuene where about 30 from his class were assigned temp. duty with clinics and hospital duty until the FMTB class starts in Jan. Most of them are reserve. I understand active duty works different in that some of them go first to their duty station and to FMTB later when their class starts. All of this is if they are going "Green Side" with the Marines. He really liked the school. All new. Some logistical problems, as would be expected, in a new set up.Sporatic Hot Water, long mail room lines.  Two man rooms, Refrig, Micro, A/C Heat, own Bathroom. Great Chow. A Lot of pretty Air Force girls around. San Antonio is nice. Big Malls, places to go. They were not allowed to go away from Barricks for 2 weeks. No off base for total of three weeks.Big PX and Commisary on base.  After that week ends free. We took his cell phone to PIR. All instructors are Navy and they protect them from the other branches. His instructors were very experienced Corpsman. One was Spec. Ops. Very little B.S.       There to learn medicine. My wife is a nurse and was impressed with the curriculum.  He gets to do a lot at the clinic he is at. Loves it. He feels the school prepared them well. Tell him to study hard and not to get into trouble off base or on. They will kick them out of the school and some out of the Navy.  Best of luck to him.  Jay

RMB said:

Thanks, Ross

Thanks Jay, Your information is comforting to us We wish you all the best for your Sailor and family in the new year.

Ross

How long is the HM A School?

Hey Jay

well my son grad end of jan he is now on east coast camp lejune however its spell in a school depends on test scores to were they will go its all in grade ###for active duty at least then after 4 weeks he will be going to fort Johnson for fmtb training their are atleast 3 class members their waiting to go to johnson

In regaurds to FMFagian it depends on all test score .......

Hello: My Son Jordan leaves for Bootcamp this Monday the 13th of August. Does anyone know how they assigned to a Ship, Hospital, or FMF? any info would be greatly appreciated.

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments