Navy Dads

I am preparing for TC 2013.

My friend wanted to go along but it seems he is unable to due to item F on the official application. "Blood thinners"

Does anyone have an opinion if there is a way to appeal this with a well written doctors note? My friend is 57 and most likely in better shape than I.

Comments?

Jim

Views: 3267

Replies to This Discussion

Additionally what island?

Anyone have a favorite hotel?

I plan to go a day early as I have never been there to pay my respects to the fallen Sailors.

JB

Did your friend attach a doctor's note with the medical forms?  If there was a Yes answer on the medical form, they did request a doctor's note clearing you.  

The island is Oahu.  Hale Koa is a beautiful military hotel, right on Waikiki Beach and it is available to military family, as well.  

Jim,

Ultimately this decision will rest with the Senior Medical Officer (SMO). Scan and send the note with the medical paperwork. It will be up to your Sailor to follow up with Medical, and see what the verdict is. Be Advised, time is ticking. Most depts are calling for a deadline of the 17th for TC paperwork, so hustle this along.

V/r

Jared

No. The form clearly reads "if you have one of these conditions you cannot go."

I was asking in my OP if anyone knew of an example where someone could appeal as the application is black and white.

Betsy (mom of CTT on Stennis) said:

Did your friend attach a doctor's note with the medical forms?  If there was a Yes answer on the medical form, they did request a doctor's note clearing you.  

The island is Oahu.  Hale Koa is a beautiful military hotel, right on Waikiki Beach and it is available to military family, as well.  

Stand upon the Flight Deck as you depart Pearl. As you approach USS Arizona, a single blow on the whistle will sound. All will face the starboard side. Another single whistle blow, and all go quiet and come to attention. Yet another, all hand salute. A moment is spent in solemn salutation and remembrance of fallen shipmates. As Arizona slides abaft of the fantail, two whistle blows sound, and the ship carries on to sea.

Jim Beck said:

I plan to go a day early as I have never been there to pay my respects to the fallen Sailors.

JB

Dam allegies..

Jared Hyde said:

Stand upon the Flight Deck as you depart Pearl. As you approach USS Arizona, a single blow on the whistle will sound. All will face the starboard side. Another single whistle blow, and all go quiet and come to attention. Yet another, all hand salute. A moment is spent in solemn salutation and remembrance of fallen shipmates. As Arizona slides abaft of the fantail, two whistle blows sound, and the ship carries on to sea.

Jim Beck said:

JB

I know they hold pretty true to the medical requirments, this is my son's second deployment and I am unable to go on the TC due to having a pacemaker. With all the radar equipment and signals coming from the flight deck they will not let me go.  He is with the Eighballers, so I will be on the dock in San Diego when it pulls in. Great sight to see our sailors maning the rails as it comes around the bend, would not miss it for anything.

Sorry you cannot go. This is my second TC. This one with the air wing aboard. Cannot wait. I admire the kids for putting up with us after 8 mos at sea. My guess is they will want to get the F*wk off the ship and unwind.

This is the medical form that my son sent me and this is his first deployment, so I know that it's not an old form.  I do not see where it says that you can't be on blood thinners.  It just says that you need a doctor's note clearing you, as I stated above.  Maybe your friend was given an older medical form,  Jim?   

USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN 74)

Medical/Dental Screening Form

Good day and welcome to the USS JOHN C STENNIS Health Services Department!  First, thank you for your time in filling these forms out fully and accurately.  Our primary purpose in asking for this information is to ensure that each and every one of our Tiger’s have a safe and uneventful cruise.  Certain medical conditions are not compatible with the aircraft carrier environment and may be beyond the capabilities of the Health Services Department should emergent medical care be required.  Despite having an exceptional medical staff of board certified providers, the shipboard medical department is not outfitted to fully treat a variety of emergencies – including, but not limited to, heart attack, stroke, severe migraine headache, seizure disorder, etc.  As a result, we require a certain level of Tiger health in deciding who may safely join us as we steam home. 

Should your medical screening be approved, please be sure to bring enough of any prescription and/or over-the-counter (OTC) medications to cover your entire time aboard ship PLUS an extra 3 days.  Although the ship’s pharmacy is happy to help in an acute emergency, we have a very limited variety of medications and may not carry your particular prescription.

Finally, if you check “YES” to any of the questions below, please obtain a brief note from your doctor addressing the details of your diagnosis, your treatment, and whether or not the medical condition would, in their opinion, be an issue on a US warship.  Over the years a number of medical providers have written notes informing our medical staff that a Tiger is cleared to embark on our “cruise ship” – please ensure your provider understands where you are headed!  Again, our thanks for your understanding and consideration. 

Sponsor’s Name:________________________________________________________Rank/Rate Equivalent:______________________

Last             First                      M.I.

Dept/Division/Squadron:_________________________________________   Jdial: ___________________________

Relationship of Ship rider to Sponsor:_______________________________________________________________

Tiger’s Name:_____________________________________________________  Age:____________________________

Last               First                        M.I.

Birth Date (MM/DD/YYY):__________________________________ Sex (Male/Female):_____________________________

Phone Number:________________________________email:______________________________________________________

Physician’s Name and phone number:_______________________________________________________________________

Please check “Yes” to any if you have ever experienced any of the following conditions.  Include dates of any related hospitalizations and/or surgeries.  Check “No” if the condition does not apply. It is important that you complete this form thoroughly; and again, if any of the conditions listed apply to you, please obtain a brief note from your doctor providing additional details as noted in the introductory paragraph above.  In order to allow for a timely evaluation by our Health Services Department, please submit your provider’s note at the same time that you send in this form.

No   Yes     Cardiovascular Disease               Description of Hospitalization/Treatments/Dates

Comments:

Chest pain (Angina)

Angioplasty

Shortness of Breath

Stroke or TIA

Carotid Endarterectomy

Peripheral Vascular Disease/leg

cramps

Congestive Heart Failure

High blood pressure (hypertension)

Heart/Valve Disease of any kind

Heart medication of any kind

Heart surgery of any kind

No   Yes    Respiratory Disease                  Description of Hospitalization/Treatments/Dates

Comments:

Asthma/Reactive Airway Disease

Emphysema

Tuberculosis

Chronic Lung Disease

Lung/Thoracic Surgery

Shortness of Breath

Dizzy spells/Lightheadedness

Oxygen dependent

Lung disease of any kind

Inhaler of any kind

No   Yes    Endocrine Disease                     Description of Hospitalization/Treatments/Dates

Comments:

Diabetes

Thyroid

Metabolic Syndrome

Endocrine Medication of any kind

Other

No   Yes    Gastrointestinal Disease               Description of Hospitalization/Treatments/Dates

Comments:

Reflux/Heartburn

Ulcers

Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Stomach/GI medications of any kind

(e.g. Zantac, Pepcid, etc.)

Other

No   Yes    Blood Disorders                         Description of Hospitalization/Treatments/Dates

Comments:

Hemophilia

Hepatitis

HIV positive

Blood disorder of any kind

Blood thinning medication of any kind

No   Yes    Musculoskeletal Disorders               Description of Hospitalization/Treatments/Dates

Comments:

Arthritis

Limitations or handicaps that restrict

movement or full range of motion

Joint Replacement in past 2 years

Fracture requiring plating or screws

in past 2 years

Please note that all Tigers must be able to climb

Three flights of stairs without stopping to rest. 

Also, there are no escalators or passenger elevators on the ship – steep stairwells are the only means of getting from one deck to the next.  As such, Tigers must possess a basic level of physical conditioning.

No   Yes    Any of the Remaining                    Description of Hospitalization/Treatments/Dates

Comments:

Epilepsy (Include date of last seizure)

Kidney disease or history of stones

Gallbladder disease or history of stones

Liver Disease

Migraine Headaches

Motion sickness or claustrophobia

Psychiatric condition of any kind

Psychiatric medication of any kind

Pregnancy or delivery in past 4 months

Severe tooth or gum problems

Fever with cough, runny nose, body aches

Any medical condition or medication not

previously listed

Allergies: List all of the Ship rider’s allergies, food or drug. (IF NONE, write NONE).

Allergy List:

Have you been hospitalized, had surgery or have you been seen in an emergency room in the prior three years for anything? (If you have already included this in your above responses, that will suffice)

Hospitalizations/ER visits:

Medications: List all medications you are currently taking, including over-the-counter, herbs, vitamins and supplements.

Name of Medication               Dosage                  Reason for Taking Medication

_________________________________      _______________   ______________________________________________

_________________________________      _______________   ______________________________________________

Date of Ship rider’s last Tetanus immunization: ____________________    If unknown, check here:________

For safety reasons, those who require the use of crutches, canes or wheel chairs or have a medical condition that limits their ability to climb three flights of steep steps without assistance will be unable to embark aboard USS JOHN C. STENNIS. Additionally, please be advised that pregnant women are not eligible for embarkation in accordance with current Navy directives.

[Please remember - required statements from your doctor should be attached to this form]

_______________________________________________________________               _______________

Signature of Tiger                                                        Date

For USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN 74) Medical Department Use Only

Tiger is medically cleared:  YES: _____  NO: ____

______________________________________________________________           _______________

Signature and stamp of the Senior Medical Officer or designee                      Date

WAIVER OF CLAIM AND CONSENT TO TREATMENT FORM RELATING TO EMERGENCY

MEDICAL AND DENTAL CARE WHILE EMBARKED IN A U.S. NAVY SHIP

I, _____________________________ request permission to embark as a guest on board USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN 74).  Upon approval, I hereby release and discharge the government of the United States of America, the Department of the Navy, its officers, successors and assignees, from any and all claims of any nature of kind whatsoever that I or my assignees have or in the future may have against any of the aforesaid parties as the result of my embarking aboard USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN 74).  Knowing the dangers, events, and circumstances of the premises, I consciously, knowingly, and voluntarily accept the risk of injury or damage to property that may arise.

Further, I hereby consent to all emergency medical or dental treatment which may, in the professional judgment of the Medical or Dental Officer of USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN 74), become necessary while I am embarked aboard.  I understand that emergency care is treatment to preserve life or prevent further injury, and is the only type of care available and authorized for me aboard ship.  Transportation to an extended care facility may be required as an adjunct to authorized emergency medical or dental care.  I realize that there is a limited range of extended care available on board USS JOHN C. STENNIS (CVN 74) for people with chronic or incipient medical problems.  I represent that I do not require extended care.  I understand that if medical or dental care is received, and if I am not otherwise eligible to receive such care, I may be obligated to reimburse the U.S. Government per applicable U.S. Navy instructions.

___________________________________                         _______________

Signature of Tiger                                          Date

I haven't received an "application" yet, but just the medical forms, so maybe this is not what you are referring too.  I could very well be wrong, but why would they have that on this medical form, if you can't go if you are on blood thinners?

had the same questions on my '09 cruise application screening form for the Theodore Roosevelt : http://www.navydads.com/group/tigerorfamilydaycruise/forum/topics/a...

It looks like they have changed the form since then.    

RSS

MISSION STATEMENT:

NavyDads mission is to Provide Support, Encouragement, and Knowledge to Sailors and their Families throughout their Journey together in the United States Navy.

NavyDads can only succeed with your help.  We receive no outside funding and every dollar you donate helps us cover operating costs and helps keep this site running. 

Google-Based NavyDads Search

only search NavyDads

Events

Blog Posts

Phishing for Info

Posted by Michael J Conway on April 18, 2023 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

USPS MILITARYKIT - **FREE**

Posted by Joseph Hernandez on January 28, 2023 at 11:54am 1 Comment

Before A School

Posted by Philip Steinert on January 2, 2023 at 2:10pm 2 Comments

My little sailor

Posted by william joseph wolfcale on December 3, 2022 at 4:08pm 2 Comments